Default 1987 merc 80 hp missing

I have changed out the plugs, and took each plug out and put it up
against something metal so that I could see the spark. Everything
looks good, but I have a miss. where do I need to look next?

Ron Magen

Not to be a 'smart ass', but HOW OLD is the gas? Does it have any
'preservative' in it {such as 'Stor-N-Start', etc.}?

A lot of times small problems like this are due to 'stale' fuel, or fuel
left in the carburetor bowl that deposits gum, varnish, and other 'junk'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have changed out the plugs, and took each plug out and put it up
against something metal so that I could see the spark. Everything
looks good, but I have a miss. where do I need to look next?

surfnturf

Agree with Roger. Had an old British motorcycle which had a maddening miss.
Testing spark under pressure revealed the problem. Lots of wasted time
trying to chase down other causes.

surfturf

"Roger Derby" wrote in message
link.net...
Is one cylinder significantly cooler than the other?

Does shorting one plug make the engine stop?

There exist spark plug testers which test the plugs under (air) pressure
while you watch the spark. (Visit the maintenance shop at your local
small airport if the corner garage doesn't have one.)

Roger