Ralph Thomas

Default Cleaning bilge

Hi,
Just purchased a 43' Gulfstar sloop. Need to clean out the bilge as
completely as possible. I don't think it's ever been done. The bilge pump
pumped out all it would, lots of oil under the engine, scooped up sludge
around the mast. In the engine room it looks like the bilge slopes down
into the keel - 5'. There is a recessed circular 'whatnot' about a foot
from the bottom toward the rear of the keel. Could that possibly be a way of
draining the keel completely? If so, what would be the procedure; I need to
insure that oil does not empty onto the ground. If it's not a drain, please
reply so.

Thanks,
Barbara

You might have better luck finding an answer to your question in the
maitenance forum at:

http://www.gulfstarownersclub.com/

Ralph Thomas

Thanks,
That is a rarely used site and I've been having problems getting access to
the general and maintenance forums. Thought I'd look elsewhere.

Barbara

wrote in message
oups.com...
You might have better luck finding an answer to your question in the
maitenance forum at:

http://www.gulfstarownersclub.com/

Adam

Hi,
Just purchased a 43' Gulfstar sloop. Need to clean out the bilge as
completely as possible. I don't think it's ever been done. The bilge
pump pumped out all it would, lots of oil under the engine, scooped up
sludge around the mast. In the engine room it looks like the bilge slopes
down into the keel - 5'. There is a recessed circular 'whatnot' about a
foot from the bottom toward the rear of the keel. Could that possibly be a
way of draining the keel completely? If so, what would be the procedure;
I need to insure that oil does not empty onto the ground. If it's not a
drain, please reply so.

Thanks,
Barbara

If there is no drain perhaps you could mop it out using a nappies (diapers)?
Apparently they are ideal for clearing up oil, it should be easy enough to
rig one (using duct tape say) on the end of a pole in order to reach down
into the bilge.

Peggie Hall

Ralph Thomas wrote:

Hi,
Just purchased a 43' Gulfstar sloop. Need to clean out the bilge as
completely as possible. I don't think it's ever been done. The bilge pump
pumped out all it would, lots of oil under the engine, scooped up sludge
around the mast. In the engine room it looks like the bilge slopes down
into the keel - 5'. There is a recessed circular 'whatnot' about a foot
from the bottom toward the rear of the keel. Could that possibly be a way of
draining the keel completely? If so, what would be the procedure; I need to
insure that oil does not empty onto the ground. If it's not a drain, please
reply so.

Is the boat currently on the hard? If so, shouldn't be too hard to
catch the bilge water in a barrel.

However...soaking up the oil first with bilge "pillows" may be the
best--though not the fastest--way: add some water--but do NOT add any
detergent, bilge cleaner, Simple Grean or any other cleaning
product...they emulsfy oil, preventing the bilge pillows from soaking it
up. Replace as necessary--disposing of 'em in approved oil disposal
sites--till what's left is just dirty water.

Now you can use a detergent...lots of it--followed by thoroughly
flushing out ALL the dirty water. I'd use a pressure washer...none of
the models sold for "home" use are powerful enough to damage gelcoat or
fiberglass...beats the socks off scrubbing by hand and also gets into
places you can't get to by hand. I wouldn't be without one--not only
for bilge and boat "spring cleaning," but for a whole bunch of jobs at
home too. I've had a 1,000 psi for 10 years that I bought to clean up
the bilge (and everything else) in an old boat I'd bought that had been
sitting for 5 years...just replaced it last week with a 1600 psi that I
found at Sams for $127.

--
Peggie

Where did you buy this GulfStar 43? I know of such a boat on the
Northern Gulf coast with quite a crazy story behind it involving an
autogyro crash in the Gulf, piracy, drugs, theft and more. I wanted to
buy her at one time.