Adam

Hi,
Just purchased a 43' Gulfstar sloop. Need to clean out the bilge as
completely as possible. I don't think it's ever been done. The bilge
pump pumped out all it would, lots of oil under the engine, scooped up
sludge around the mast. In the engine room it looks like the bilge slopes
down into the keel - 5'. There is a recessed circular 'whatnot' about a
foot from the bottom toward the rear of the keel. Could that possibly be a
way of draining the keel completely? If so, what would be the procedure;
I need to insure that oil does not empty onto the ground. If it's not a
drain, please reply so.

Thanks,
Barbara

If there is no drain perhaps you could mop it out using a nappies (diapers)?
Apparently they are ideal for clearing up oil, it should be easy enough to
rig one (using duct tape say) on the end of a pole in order to reach down
into the bilge.