Default More MiniCup repairs

I am very sorry I used bathroom underlayment for my two MiniCups. It
is such poor quality material that now I am covering the boats with
fiberglass. I highly reccomend that builders use a higher quality
material.

wtf

I am very sorry I used bathroom underlayment for my two MiniCups. It
is such poor quality material that now I am covering the boats with
fiberglass. I highly reccomend that builders use a higher quality
material.

That's why I get so ****ed when I see William teling everyone who will
listen that cheap **** material is worth using... Sorry you had to
learn the hard way. Personally I think his ill advice has probably done
more damage to builders and their projects than the dreaded Dutch
honeycomb builder...
Scotty

I have to admit, I might not have built them if I had to pay the price
for the marine ply. Since then, I have found how much I enjoy them so
wish I had paid the price. However, regardless of his position of
bathroom underlayment, I have learned a lot from William's posts.

FINALLY, got all the paint removed from the bottom of #1. For most of
it I just used a sander and that was a lot of work. Then I remembered
"Paint Remover" and went and bought a spray can of Citrus Strip (or
something like that) in a spray can. It sorta worked and at least
seriously lessened the work. I still had to do final removal with the
sander.
Now, I am ready to apply a coat of epoxy and lightweight glass.

William R. Watt

"wtf" ) writes:
wrote:
I am very sorry I used bathroom underlayment for my two MiniCups. It
is such poor quality material that now I am covering the boats with
fiberglass. I highly reccomend that builders use a higher quality
material.

That's why I get so ****ed when I see William teling everyone who will
listen that cheap **** material is worth using... Sorry you had to
learn the hard way. Personally I think his ill advice has probably done
more damage to builders and their projects than the dreaded Dutch
honeycomb builder...
Scotty

Use what meets your requriement. I've got good value and much enjoyment
out of the boats I've made from lauan underlayment. I've used but don't
recommend virola underlayment unless you can tolerate a high degreee of
maintenance for the lighter weight and tighter bending radius.

Design (scantlings) and workmanship matter as much as materials for
durability.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Will:

I do appreciate your advice most of the time.
Just got the glass on her, it took more than I thought it would but
thats ok.

Andrew Butchart

I agree with William on using underlay - perhaps we can get here is better
quality. I also spend time - with permission from the lumber yard - to pick
through the pile and get the best sheets. There's a lot of crappy product
out there especially if you buy from the bigger chains.

I currently have 4 small boats - all built with underlay, including a
MiniCup sealed with anything from 3 coats of epoxy and fiberglassed chines
on the MiniCup to polyester resin, to just paint. The only problem I've had
is with the skiff that was just painted - a bit of delamination that was
quickly fixed with auto-body filler 3 years ago and it's still holding up
well.

It is true that you get what you pay for but the ratio of $$ to fun I find
pretty high using the lower end materials.

--
Andrew Butchart

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

"wtf" ) writes:
wrote:
[...]

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

MiniCup repairs [email protected] Boat Building 0 April 17th 05 08:38 PM
Sail Repairs by professional John W. Bienko ASA 2 March 8th 05 05:10 AM
More Minicup sailing Parallax Boat Building 1 October 23rd 04 11:14 PM
Minicup carrier Parallax Boat Building 1 May 26th 04 02:36 AM
Epoxy or Poly for poly repairs? Lloyd Sumpter Boat Building 14 January 4th 04 12:29 AM