Parallax

Default More Minicup sailing

Took the two Minicups sailing on Lake Hall yesterday. All day there
had been great wind but by the time we got on the lake by 4:30 pm, it
was very light. We had a few good puffs but when we tried to come
back in the wind totally died leaving us out in the middle without
paddles. We were slowly paddling back in using the daggerboards as
paddles when a guy came by in a canoe and gave me a paddle and offered
to tow my son in the other Minicup. I was pleasantly shocked at how
well the MiniCup paddled. I did not have to change paddling sides to
steer so did not have o keep ducking my head under the boom.
The boats are showing some problems with use. Number two (Satsuma)
cracked around the cockpit where my lightweight 14 yr old son had been
sitting. I had not reinforced this edge with fibreglass tape as I did
the first one. The rudder on number 1 (Tadpole) broke where the screw
eye goes in so I will have to try to repair with epoxy and maybe some
glass.
I now also plan to attach velcro tabs to the decks to hold a canoe
paddle for each.
I now realize I have too many boat projects. Trying to get my 28'
S2 ready for a long cruise, trying to get my Nautilus 8 dinghy fixed,
fixing the Minicups, and building the Two-Paw-9 dinghy takes up all my
available time. The answer, to hell with it, its a pretty day, I'm
going sailing on the S2.
Parallax

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Took MiniCups to Shell Pt, FL. Light wind, maybe 5-6 kts. It finally
died. Not a total waste of time. Both boats are getting a little
banged up but I repair them.