Default Mast selection

Carbon Rotating mast selection

Hi all,

I am just finishing up building my own 32' trimaran. But once
finished I will need to put it into the water and having a mast that
the sails go on would be great. The boat is similar to a corsair 31r in
many regards. It is actually a bit lighter that they are, even with all
the goodies. My question is what should I be looking for in the mast
section I choose. It will be a rotating mast with single spreaders. I
was thinking about a wing mast 9in x 4in or so. What Ixx and Iyy should
I be looking for?

Thanks for any of your help.

Gilbert Landon

Jim-
Thanks for the link, I have been following the posts on f-boat and will
look at the Multi forum. Myself and a friend have done the enginnering,
as we have both designed boats before and actually I have done a mast
before also, but it was for a 27' tri. I was very happy with that mast
but am always looking for more information.

Gilbert

Evan,

I will be designing it and have a company build it for me I have had a
production run done for a 36' composite done before that I was very
happy with. I am familiar with the needs for buckling resistance.
I can achieve and Mod. E=10*10^6psi.

I was just looking for more peoples opinion. I have noticed that more
masts break that should.

Thanks,
Gilbert

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM
Mast down (long) Peter S/Y Anicula ASA 1 July 1st 03 12:05 AM