Morgan Ohlson

Default Hull designer software

Can any one say which is the best way to get trustworthy panel offsets out
of that program Hull Designer ?

Link here (it's free): http://www.carlsondesign.com/index.html#Fun_Shareware

Morgan O.
William R. Watt

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
Can any one say which is the best way to get trustworthy panel offsets out
of that program Hull Designer ?

Link here (it's free): http://www.carlsondesign.com/index.html#Fun_Shareware

I had problems figuring it out and didn't get a really good fit for one
model (www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Solo15.htm). I studied the numbers and tried
plotting cutting carboard panels a couple of times. When I asked about it here
people wrote they were able to use it to get good fits.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
James

"Morgan Ohlson" wrote in message
Can any one say which is the best way to get trustworthy panel offsets out
of that program Hull Designer ?

Link here (it's free):
http://www.carlsondesign.com/index.html#Fun_Shareware

Morgan O.

the software is worth its price.. and no more

Morgan Ohlson

On 28 Oct 2004 19:04:52 GMT, William R. Watt wrote:

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
Can any one say which is the best way to get trustworthy panel offsets out
of that program Hull Designer ?

Link here (it's free): http://www.carlsondesign.com/index.html#Fun_Shareware

I had problems figuring it out and didn't get a really good fit for one
model (www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Solo15.htm). I studied the numbers and tried
plotting cutting carboard panels a couple of times. When I asked about it here
people wrote they were able to use it to get good fits.

Have you tried putting the data from Hull Design into Hullform and get it
outprinted that way?

Morgan O.
Jeff

Morgan Ohlson wrote in
news

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
Can any one say which is the best way to get trustworthy panel
offsets out of that program Hull Designer ?

Link here (it's free):
http://www.carlsondesign.com/index.html#Fun_Shareware

I had problems figuring it out and didn't get a really good fit for
one model (www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Solo15.htm). I studied the numbers and
tried plotting cutting carboard panels a couple of times. When I
asked about it here people wrote they were able to use it to get good
fits.

Have you tried putting the data from Hull Design into Hullform and get
it outprinted that way?

If you have hullform why would you use hulls?

Morgan Ohlson

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:56:13 GMT, Jeff wrote:

Morgan Ohlson wrote in
news

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
Can any one say which is the best way to get trustworthy panel
offsets out of that program Hull Designer ?

Link here (it's free):
http://www.carlsondesign.com/index.html#Fun_Shareware

I had problems figuring it out and didn't get a really good fit for
one model (www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Solo15.htm). I studied the numbers and
tried plotting cutting carboard panels a couple of times. When I
asked about it here people wrote they were able to use it to get good
fits.

Have you tried putting the data from Hull Design into Hullform and get
it outprinted that way?

If you have hullform why would you use hulls?

I think it's much easier to work with the graphical presentation in Hulls
Des.

....have all designs in hulls
....and that I have not learnt Hullform properly.

Morgan O.
Jacques

"James" wrote in message

the software is worth its price.. and no more

:-)

It's OK for an amateur that wants to develop panels from a known
developable hull, not more.
That program does not check for developability so you never know if
you can really bend the panels it produces. Besides that, it's good
and it's free.

Jacques
http://bateau.com
wemfish

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:08:01 GMT, Morgan Ohlson
wrote:

Can any one say which is the best way to get trustworthy panel offsets out
of that program Hull Designer ?

Link here (it's free): http://www.carlsondesign.com/index.html#Fun_Shareware

Morgan O.

I used "hulls" to design my small sail / outboard / row boat, see
www.wemfish.supanet.com I just played with the figures untill it
looked right! ok so it's not finnished yet but I am confident that it
will be a fine "fun" boat. . . .

Morgan Ohlson

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
[...]

Perhaps I should state that I only have the freeware version.

No luxery stuff around here.

Morgan O.
William R. Watt

I dodn't know the names of the programs I've used, but I first typed the
table of offsets into the free program from Blue Peter Designs to check
the numbers were okay, then typed the table of offsets into the program
from Carlson Design to plot the plywood panels. I've used both programs a
few times but am not expert with either. I found the automatic curve
fitting of both programs difficult to work with but figured minor
variances would nto affect the performance numbers enough to worry about.
the Blue Peter program allows many more lines and stations than the
Carlson program so the fit can be closer, including a superstructure
(cabin top), etc. It would make more of a difference in cutting and
fitting the plywood panels with teh Carlson which is why I cut out two
cardboard models before I was sort of satisfied. The models are as far as
I got with the plywood panel feature of the prgram. Others have used it to
build boats. The Carslon program is bad for doing straight hull lines. It
always wants to fit them to a curve, at least as far as I was able to
figure out. You can use a mouse pointer to reposition intermedtiate points
(red dots on the lines) bewteen the stations in the Carlson program.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm