Jack Rogers

Default glass tape for an optimist

Hello--

I'm building an optimist dinghy for my son out of okoume plywood. He'll
be racing it, so its important that the boat come out at the class
minimum weight. Can anybody recommend a glass tape (and supplier) to use
on the seams? I want something light weight that won't soak up a bunch
of epoxy. This is a tiny boat (7.5 ft) sailed by kids, so loads are
relatively light.

Thanks for any advice!

Jack
Evan Gatehouse

"Jack Rogers" -you wrote in message
Hello--

I'm building an optimist dinghy for my son out of okoume plywood. He'll
be racing it, so its important that the boat come out at the class
minimum weight. Can anybody recommend a glass tape (and supplier) to use
on the seams? I want something light weight that won't soak up a bunch
of epoxy. This is a tiny boat (7.5 ft) sailed by kids, so loads are
relatively light.

Probably you could get away with 3" wide, 6 oz. tape. I wouldn't go to 4
oz.

You'll save more weight by being tidy, using small fillets and only enough
resin to wet out the cloth. Consider wetting out dry lengths of tape on
polyethylene sheeting and transfering to the boat; excess resin is left on
the sheeting.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Thanks for any advice!

Jack

William R. Watt

that's an Optimist, not an optimist

Jack Rogers -you) writes:
Hello--

I'm building an optimist dinghy for my son out of okoume plywood. He'll
be racing it, so its important that the boat come out at the class
minimum weight. Can anybody recommend a glass tape (and supplier) to use
on the seams? I want something light weight that won't soak up a bunch
of epoxy. This is a tiny boat (7.5 ft) sailed by kids, so loads are
relatively light.

Thanks for any advice!

Jack

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Nicholas

pedant

Jack Rogers -you) writes:
Hello--

I'm building an optimist dinghy for my son out of okoume plywood. He'll
be racing it, so its important that the boat come out at the class
minimum weight. Can anybody recommend a glass tape (and supplier) to use
on the seams? I want something light weight that won't soak up a bunch
of epoxy. This is a tiny boat (7.5 ft) sailed by kids, so loads are
relatively light.

Thanks for any advice!

Jack

William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Reynaud

"Jack Rogers" -you wrote in message
Hello--

I'm building an optimist dinghy for my son out of okoume plywood. He'll
be racing it, so its important that the boat come out at the class
minimum weight. Can anybody recommend a glass tape (and supplier) to use
on the seams? I want something light weight that won't soak up a bunch
of epoxy. This is a tiny boat (7.5 ft) sailed by kids, so loads are
relatively light.

Thanks for any advice!

Jack

In a lot of my projects I use ordinary denim cloth in 8 oz. works easier
than fiberglass also stronger.

Rey

Morgan Ohlson

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:34:51 -0500, Jack Rogers wrote:

Hello--

I'm building an optimist dinghy for my son out of okoume plywood. He'll
be racing it, so its important that the boat come out at the class
minimum weight. Can anybody recommend a glass tape (and supplier) to use
on the seams? I want something light weight that won't soak up a bunch
of epoxy. This is a tiny boat (7.5 ft) sailed by kids, so loads are
relatively light.

Thanks for any advice!

Jack

Actually the question is a little strange. Do you like to reduce strength?

Some ways
# use lite weight (thin) glass cloth wich will absorb less epoxi. (all
waeves are intended for ~55%weave - 45% matrix
# use not as wide tapes....

Less glass weight = less reinforcement.
not as wide tapes = possible delamination.

AND ...the chines are the most stressed part of a hull and because of that
THIS is the most stupid place to save weight!

Morgan
Paul Oman

Morgan Ohlson wrote:

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:34:51 -0500, Jack Rogers wrote:

Hello--

I'm building an optimist dinghy for my son out of okoume plywood. He'll
be racing it, so its important that the boat come out at the class
minimum weight. Can anybody recommend a glass tape (and supplier) to use
on the seams? I want something light weight that won't soak up a bunch
of epoxy. This is a tiny boat (7.5 ft) sailed by kids, so loads are
relatively light.

Thanks for any advice!

Jack

-------------------

use 3 inch wide tape - let the weave of the cloth show thru instead of trying
to 'hide' the cloth weave with coat after coat of epoxy...

I've also just taped the outside of similar small boats and left the inside
untaped (but still smoothed with a fillet of thickened epoxy).

paul oman
www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

William R. Watt

Paul Oman ) writes:

... let the weave of the cloth show thru

You wouldn't normally do this on racing boats as any rough surface creates
drag, but on a Optimist raced by junior sailors there will be much more
important factors in the race, like wind directon and trim.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm