Meindert Sprang

"ddinc" wrote in message
99 % of ALL composite boats built are polyester to polyester.

Sure, and the layup is wet in wet. Now try the same on old and dry
polyester...

Meindert

Dave Wright

MonteP wrote in message news:

ALL sources say polyester to polyester is not recommended. Use Epoxy
for all repairs of polyester. PERIOD!

I repeat, only idiots and shadetree bubbas (or an
emergency repair) ever use polyester to repaair polyester. I will leave
the details to the jillions of works on the subject.

Monte,

could you provide references for one or two readily available sources
that support your view? I've never had a problem with polyester to
polyester boat repairs. The polyester products I purchased provided
instructions for this type of repair.

So, I'm genuinely curious and open to learning something new.

Thank you very much,
Dave Wright
MonteP

(Dave Wright) wrote in
m:

MonteP wrote in message news:

ALL sources say polyester to polyester is not recommended. Use Epoxy
for all repairs of polyester. PERIOD!

I repeat, only idiots and shadetree bubbas (or an
emergency repair) ever use polyester to repaair polyester. I will
leave the details to the jillions of works on the subject.

Monte,

could you provide references for one or two readily available sources
that support your view? I've never had a problem with polyester to
polyester boat repairs. The polyester products I purchased provided
instructions for this type of repair.

So, I'm genuinely curious and open to learning something new.

Thank you very much,
Dave Wright

Not in the habit of indulging others intellectual laziness, but one well
respected expert book is Vaitses' Fiberglass repair book. Also
Internation MArine Publishers has a fair share, look at issues of This
Old Boat....and on and on and on.

Look it really doesn't matter if you wish to use something that might
sink you...same as getting bombed and jumping into your cigarette boat
and kissing jetties...it weeds out the genepool. What does bother me is
when the 'Hey y'all watch this' bunch starts handing out advice to
innocent trusting people.

If people want to eat pretzels, let 'em! But don't go giving them to
little Texas kids, they'll choke to death.

--
MonteP
"Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain." -

Dave Wright

Here was my experience, for what it's worth:
I have used glass/polyester on old car bodies, in the long-ago.

So without much thought about it, I applied glass/polyester bandaids
to several spots on an older bass-boat, and covered them with
stretched cling-film taped to the hull so as to provide a fair smooth
surface.

The patches looked good, but after several seasons use, I noticed
that the patches were showing a milky interface, and appeared to be
leaking somewhat.

I will try glass epoxy with cling film, next time I need to.

Brian W

Brian, I like epoxy a lot and never had a problem with epoxy. But I've
also had success with polyester resins too. It often depends on the
type of polyester resin you're using; the isophthalic polyester resins
are better than the ortho-polyester resins. If you attempt the repair
with polyester resin again, maybe after coarse grinding (36 grit),
wash the old laminate down with styrene (folks often seem to use
acetone), it may soften the base somewhat better than acetone and help
to give you a decent secondary bond.

You might find that you can get vinylester resin (5% elong. @ 11,800
psi) cheaper than epoxy (5% elong. @ 12,500 psi). I would guess that
every day knowledgeable technicians evaluate polyester based resin
boats for repair or modification. The goal generally is to produce a
satisfactory repair for the remaining life of the boat at the lowest
cost. It's good to try various materials and methods, especially on
small jobs. If they don't work, try something else. Since all of
these materials are application, process, material, and operator
sensitive, it's sometimes hard to acertain why one individual might
have success and another failure.

Best wishes to everyone in their repair jobs.

Dave Wright

Confusion: Epoxy or polyester? Bonasa Boat Building 9 September 14th 04 10:46 PM
Resins, Fillers and glues Parallax Boat Building 28 May 11th 04 06:15 AM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
Polyester epoxy carlp Boat Building 8 October 2nd 03 09:07 PM
polyester - epoxy bonding Walt Boat Building 19 July 27th 03 06:37 PM