Cyrille de Brébisson

Default need help building a wood sailboat, simple questions

Hello,

I am trying to build the "tiny bear" boat (see plan here
http://members.aol.com/polytarp/tbear.htm) but there is a step that I can
not figure out.

I am suposed to put together the bow plate, the transom and a mould frame.
But I do not understand how I can place my deck and bilge clamp, more
especially which order to place them in order to have them bending correctly
(ie: the deck one should only bend laterally, but the bilge one should bend
both laterally and vertically.

Should I: place my deck clamp first, fix it, and then hope than when I place
my bilge clamp, it will not cause the deck clamp to bend vertically?

thanks, cyrille

steveJ

This would be a good boat to convert to the "stitch and tape" method.
The clamps are not at all necessary. But if you insist building it the
old way, build it upside down on a rigid frame called a strongback.
Spring the clamps together by using rope to temporarily hold them in place.

Cyrille de Brébisson wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to build the "tiny bear" boat (see plan here
http://members.aol.com/polytarp/tbear.htm) but there is a step that I can
not figure out.

I am suposed to put together the bow plate, the transom and a mould frame.
But I do not understand how I can place my deck and bilge clamp, more
especially which order to place them in order to have them bending correctly
(ie: the deck one should only bend laterally, but the bilge one should bend
both laterally and vertically.

Should I: place my deck clamp first, fix it, and then hope than when I place
my bilge clamp, it will not cause the deck clamp to bend vertically?

thanks, cyrille

Jan Gromadzki

Cyrille de Brébisson wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to build the "tiny bear" boat (see plan here
http://members.aol.com/polytarp/tbear.htm) but there is a step that I can
not figure out

It's very good idea to convert it to stich'n'glue. I suppose that you do
not plan to use caseine glue but epoxy. So next step is to convert your
chine to filleted and glassed over inside and outside, with no chine
clamp. This method is tested, fully described on many Net sites.
Try to play with it first, and drill few 2mm holes near chine, tie it
with 1mm copper wire and see what you get. I'm sure you will be happy
to convert to stich'n'glue.
I suppose you should try to change well box structure, and laminate it
together using GRP 6mm sheet /Vetus/ and glue it down to bottom of your
dinghy with Sikaflex 292 elastic polyuretane. If stiff, this join always
minicracks, starts to leak, and rots away.
I was using this kind of boat years ago and had problem there.
Good luck
jgrom