Jim Conlin

The concern about weight only applies when racing or when the designer (Dick Newick) is
aboard. At other times, appropriate quantities of beer are welcome.

Jim

"Paul R. LaBrie" wrote:

Jim,

A case of 120z. aluminum beer cans weighs 22lbs. By your values per
pound, that would mean a penalty of $50/lb. X 22lbs/case =
$1,100.00/case!!! Thus, I think I will do all of my drinking before
sailing with you, assuming you don't weigh me first!!! ;-)

- Paul

Jim Conlin wrote:
In some boats, the value of light weight is considerable. For the light multihull
i'm building, my ballpark figure for the value of a pound saved is about $50. If
the boat were 500# (1/3) heavier, i reckon its value would be diminished by $25K.
Admittedly, this is extreme, but teh concept is useful.

Richard Kollmann

Beer Onboard
I know this is hard to believe but it is true. Eighteen years ago I
was contacted by a Gulf coast cruiser that spent his winters in the
Bahamas on board a 37 ft. sailboat. Beer at that time, in the Bahamas,
cost $26 a case so he wanted to carry his winter supply onboard 35
cases, apparently he was not a racier. What he wanted me to do was to
design him a beer cooler to cool his beer separate from the galley
refrigerator. A standard engine driven system for the two boxes would
work but he would need to build a second box. He must have believed
that beer was like fine wine because what he was really asking for was
a cooler onboard to keep all 35 cases of beer cold all the time.
The V berth area was cleaned out and a very large cooler was
constructed, he even spray foamed inside areas of the hull with
insulation.
I don't know how his winter with cold beer worked but he was happy
with his refrigeration when he left.

Yes I know, I told this story before in one of my books.
Http://www.kollmann-marine.com

Jim Conlin wrote:
In some boats, the value of light weight is considerable. For the light multihull
i'm building, my ballpark figure for the value of a pound saved is about $50. If
the boat were 500# (1/3) heavier, i reckon its value would be diminished by $25K.
Admittedly, this is extreme, but teh concept is useful.

Glenn Ashmore

Oh yes! Most brewers are really serious about their distributors
storing beer at the right temperature. When the A/B district reps come
in one of the first thing they want to see is the warehouse temperature
logs.

OTOH, your client probably spent $3K to save $100 and probably missed a
chance to try Carib and Presidente. Can't say much for Carib but
Presidente is a great beer.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com