William R. Watt

Default lifespan of tugboats?

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
James

Many of the easy coast fishing smacks, worked for 70 -80 years.
I doubt any commercial vessels will be built in modern times that remain in
service that long.

The tugboat will have to be replaced in five years cos the laptop on the
bridge will be out of date

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Wayne.B

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:39:05 GMT, (Drew
Dalgleish) wrote:
Most likely for tax resons a
short life would allow a quicker depreciation

Exactly right, the actual life is no doubt considerably longer. Look
closely at the financial statements. They are probably generating a
fair amount of cash with the tax savings.

Gordon

http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/nhl/foss.htm

Try the above site for the story of the Arthur Foss.

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
Maybe they're made of paper-mache :-) Most likely for tax resons a
short life would allow a quicker depreciation

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

---
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's

returned

rock_doctor

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
Maybe they're made of paper-mache :-) Most likely for tax resons a
short life would allow a quicker depreciation

There you go, this would allow the company to purchase new hardware more
often and continue to write it off their taxes. Then again maybe they loose
a lot of ships to pirates, this is the Caribbean after all....

mark

William R. Watt

maybe they meant the remaining life expectancy of the tugboats is 5 years
and left off the "remaining" expecting it would be understood. I'll have
to take another look.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Rick

William R. Watt wrote:
I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

My 65 foot wooden tugboat, the F.L. Fulton, is 60 years old and doing
just fine.

As a working tugboat it is, however, very much noncompetitive.

Rick