BoatBanter.com

-   -   lifespan of tugboats? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/20935-lifespan-tugboats.html)

William R. Watt August 1st 04 02:32 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

James August 1st 04 04:20 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

Many of the easy coast fishing smacks, worked for 70 -80 years.
I doubt any commercial vessels will be built in modern times that remain in
service that long.

The tugboat will have to be replaced in five years cos the laptop on the
bridge will be out of date

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Drew Dalgleish August 1st 04 04:39 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

Maybe they're made of paper-mache :-) Most likely for tax resons a
short life would allow a quicker depreciation

Wayne.B August 1st 04 05:07 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:39:05 GMT, (Drew
Dalgleish) wrote:
Most likely for tax resons a
short life would allow a quicker depreciation

Exactly right, the actual life is no doubt considerably longer. Look
closely at the financial statements. They are probably generating a
fair amount of cash with the tax savings.

Jim Conlin August 1st 04 07:05 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

The Boston tugboat Luna is 74.
See http://www.tugboatluna.org/

Gordon August 1st 04 09:56 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/nhl/foss.htm

Try the above site for the story of the Arthur Foss.

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
Maybe they're made of paper-mache :-) Most likely for tax resons a
short life would allow a quicker depreciation

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

---
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's

returned

rock_doctor August 1st 04 11:40 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
Maybe they're made of paper-mache :-) Most likely for tax resons a
short life would allow a quicker depreciation

There you go, this would allow the company to purchase new hardware more
often and continue to write it off their taxes. Then again maybe they loose
a lot of ships to pirates, this is the Caribbean after all....

mark

William R. Watt August 2nd 04 04:33 AM

lifespan of tugboats?

maybe they meant the remaining life expectancy of the tugboats is 5 years
and left off the "remaining" expecting it would be understood. I'll have
to take another look.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Rick August 2nd 04 03:34 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

William R. Watt wrote:
I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

My 65 foot wooden tugboat, the F.L. Fulton, is 60 years old and doing
just fine.

As a working tugboat it is, however, very much noncompetitive.

Rick

P.C. Ford August 2nd 04 05:24 PM

lifespan of tugboats?

On 1 Aug 2004 13:32:06 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years.

I've seen similiar figures. I've read that supposedly Chris boats were
build for a 6 year service. No real proof or source is given with this
information.

I've owned and worked on Chris boats that are nearing sixty years of
age without major rebuilding.

That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

Exterior plywood? I recall you were building with 1/8 inch doorskins.
And bragging about building a boat for $17.35. (Canadian) And that was
after rigging up a boat from polyethylene barrels. Stuff like this
makes dogs howl and young children cry.

We see some progress, I gather. Glad to see that you are considering
using other criteria than cheapness for your boats.