Wayne.B

Default lifespan of tugboats?

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:34:46 GMT, Rick
wrote:
My 65 foot wooden tugboat, the F.L. Fulton, is 60 years old and doing
just fine.

===================

Pictures ?

William R. Watt

P.C. Ford ) writes:

Exterior plywood? I recall you were building with 1/8 inch doorskins.

Sorry to burst your baloon but I've never built a hull out of interior
grade plywood, including doorskin, strictly exterior grade virola and
lauan underlayment.

And bragging about building a boat for $17.35. (Canadian)

and still bragging in its third season. was out sailing that boat (Loonie)
on the river today. wanted to go for a cooling swim afterward but forgot
to bring a towel so used the cotton canvas sprit sail instead - drying off
after the swim, wrapping the sail around me for the walk back to the car,
folding the sail on the carseat to absorb the water from the wet bathing
suit. try that with dacron. the canvas for the sail cost $1 at a rummage
sale and I've only used 1/3. damn, there I go bragging again.

.. And that was
after rigging up a boat from polyethylene barrels. Stuff like this
makes dogs howl and young children cry.

the dog liked that boat, but not enough to howl. I dismantled the boat
because it was too slow and heavy. Dogs usually only howl along with music
made with wind instruments. my dog howled along with a wooden recorder,
in perfect pitch.

We see some progress, I gather. Glad to see that you are considering
using other criteria than cheapness for your boats.

since when?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Rodney Myrvaagnes

Reliable II, a coastal tanker (steel) was built in the 1920s and is
still in service. I have seen it making a delivery to the power
station at Nantucket. It gets loaded in NY Harbor (probably Bayonne,
NJ) and where else it goes I know not.

There are harbor tugs in NY that look as old, but that proves
notheing.

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:34:46 GMT, Rick
wrote:

William R. Watt wrote:
I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years. That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

My 65 foot wooden tugboat, the F.L. Fulton, is 60 years old and doing
just fine.

As a working tugboat it is, however, very much noncompetitive.

Rick

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Was George B. Selden the true Inventor of the submarine patent?