posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default ??? upgrading shore power to 50A 220V

I've been on 30A 120V power at the dock for years and would now like to upgrade
to 50A 220V, or what they refer to as 50A 250V at the marina office. I haven't
put a meter on it yet but so far suspect it's closer to 220 than 250. The socket
on the pedestal is like the one pictured he

http://www.catagle.com/68-153/CWD_Ar...uyersGuide.htm

They say it's 3-pole 4-wire. I'm guessing X and Y are the two hot legs and W is
the neutral. Between X or Y and W would be 120V+/- and between X and Y is the
220/250V. Right? How does the ground tie into it though? With only 3 poles do we
run a separate wire from the boat to the pedestal, and if so how do we tie in?

Also can anyone suggest the cheapest place to get a plug like that? So far the
best price I've found is $68.18 he

http://www.ktool.net/servlet/the-581...-63CR65/Detail

Thank you for any help!
David

On 3/17/2014 6:01 PM, david@righthere... wrote:
[...]

The ground is the outside metal band on the plug.
[...]

My suggestion is to learn more about what you are thinking of doing. If
your boat is currently set up for a 30 amp, 120 volt service, there's
more to it than just replacing the plug to get 50 amps.

The 50 amp services are, as you stated, more like the power service to
your house. 240 volts between the hot legs and 120 volts between either
of them and neutral. There's 50 amps available for each of the
distributed legs or a total of 100 amps.

The power panel in a boat designed for a 50 amp service distributes the
two 120 volt legs equally to power the boat's electrical system. Any
240 volt items runs off a double pole breaker. Frankly, I've never seen
a 240 volt appliance on a recreational use boat. Not saying they don't
exist. I've just never seen one. The last boat I had had a 240 volt,
50 amp service. It had a washer and dryer. The dryer ran on 120 volts,
not 240.

The wiring on your 30 amp service is sized from the inlet jack to the
power panel for 30 amps. There should be a 30 amp main breaker in your
power panel that would trip if you draw over 30 amps, so there's no
benefit. If you replace the main breaker in the power panel with a 50
amp breaker, you run a risk of fire due to overloading the wiring
between the power inlet plug and the power panel, so you would need to
replace that wiring with a bigger gauge.

Some boats have *two* 30 amp services and power panels. That might be
an easier way to go if you are trying to add more available amps.

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:01:06 -0400, david@righthere... wrote:

[...]

If you are currently getting 120 V on the 30 amp outlet, you should
get 120 V from each hot to neutral on the 50 amp outlet, and 240 volts
between the two hot wires.

If the dock outlets are supplied three-phase power, you may get 208
volts between the hot wires, but most marinas should provide single
phase 120/240 to the dock outlets, although the marina's main supply
will be three-phase.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver BC
peterbb (at) telus.net
[...]

===

You've gotten some fairly good advice from most sources but let me
emphasize that this is not a job to be undertaken by an an amatuer DIY
electrician. A 50 amp shore power outlet is capable of delivering
about 12 kilowatts of electricity and that is way more than what is
needed to start a fire or electrocute someone. The parts are readily
available from West Marine or your local electrical distributor but
this is not a trivial project. In addition to rewiring your dock, you
also need to totally redo your boat's electrical system from the shore
power connectors right through to the breaker panel. You will totally
void your insurance policy if the job is not done to professional
standards.

If you'd like to learn more from a reliable source, I'd suggest you
start with this book by Nigel Calder:

http://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Mechanical-Electrical-Manual-Essential/dp/0071432388

??? upgrading shore power to 50A 220V david@righthere... General 90 March 26th 14 01:47 AM
Bad shore power [email protected] Cruising 14 June 16th 06 08:09 AM
FS: Shore Power set in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 April 16th 04 02:56 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM