posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default Is draining the block enough to keep it from cracking....?

Is draining the block in an I/O enough to keep it from cracking, or could there
still be water pockets in it that could be enough to crack it? It seems they
should be designed so that can't happen, but are they? This particular one is a
140 hp straight four cylinder Mercury 1976-1979 model.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 16, 2:32*pm, [email protected] wrote:
Is draining the block in an I/O enough to keep it from cracking, or could there
still be water pockets in it that could be enough to crack it? It seems they
should be designed so that can't happen, but are they? This particular one is a
140 hp straight four cylinder Mercury 1976-1979 model.

On my 140, U drain the petcocks, and pull the hose from the lower leg
to the manifold, and pour RV (pink stuff) anti-freeze down the hose
till it's running well out the lower end, and while leaving the
petcocks open on the manifold and the engine block, I pour the same
anti-freeze in the water pump hoses until it's running out all the
drain petcocks. I've had good success with doing that as well.

I've known of people who have taken the prop off the lower and put it
in a large vat (55 gal drum cut in half) , put the lower in it an run
the engine which gives the engine a total flush of water, but that
takes a lot of antifreeze and storing is a problem and it's a messy
set up.... but it works.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:12:01 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I've known of people who have taken the prop off the lower and put it
in a large vat (55 gal drum cut in half) , put the lower in it an run
the engine which gives the engine a total flush of water, but that
takes a lot of antifreeze and storing is a problem and it's a messy
set up.... but it works.

===

You can do it with a lot less antifreeze by using a set of "muffs" to
gravity feed right into the intake holes on the I/O leg. You just
need to rig up a jerry jug and some hoses.

wrote:

I've known of people who have taken the prop off the lower and put it
in a large vat (55 gal drum cut in half) , put the lower in it an run
the engine which gives the engine a total flush of water, *but that
takes a lot of antifreeze and storing is a problem and it's a messy
set up.... but it works.

===

You can do it with a lot less antifreeze by using a set of "muffs" to
gravity feed right into the intake holes on the I/O leg. * You just
need to rig up a jerry jug and some hoses.

I've tried that and didn't have the best of results. Then again, I
didn't really have a good set of muffs.