Michael Droege

Default py 26 rubrail cracking and burner alcohol replacement ideas

Hey all, couple of things I am working on and would love any and all
advice that anyone is able to give. One, the exterior rubrail is in
bad shape it is cracking in areas and deteriorating in others. to the
point I want to replace it. Has anyone ever done this before? And if
so any pointers? Such as where to buy and how to replace? Two, the
original optimus-princess 2 burner alcohol burner has been converted
to a propane stove which I believe is extremely dangerous since it is
in the enclosed galley. I would like it to be an alcohol stove once
again... Any one have any ideas of what type of stove will fit in the
py26 space for a 2 burner stove? Let me know I can either be reached
here at this post or you can email me directly at
thanks again Michael
DSK

Michael Droege wrote:
Hey all, couple of things I am working on and would love any and all
advice that anyone is able to give. One, the exterior rubrail is in
bad shape it is cracking in areas and deteriorating in others. to the
point I want to replace it. Has anyone ever done this before? And if
so any pointers? Such as where to buy and how to replace?

Usually you can see how to get the new one on when taking the old one
off. What I've done is take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut away a
diagonal section to get started.

The rubrail moldings for most production boats are still available if
you hunt around for it.

... Two, the
original optimus-princess 2 burner alcohol burner has been converted
to a propane stove which I believe is extremely dangerous since it is
in the enclosed galley. I would like it to be an alcohol stove once
again... Any one have any ideas of what type of stove will fit in the
py26 space for a 2 burner stove?

If the installation of the propane system (and the boat's wiring) is
done properly, and it's used correctly, propane is not dangerous.
However, I like the simplicity of the new wick type alcohol cook tops,
and don't agree with most peoples objections to alcohol as a stove fuel.
It's not a bad way to go IMHO.

Try one of these
http://www.swego.com/mall/stove_3000.asp

Is your PY26 the keel/cneterboard model?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King