posted to rec.boats.building

Default Request for advice on epoxying bulkheads

I posted a video on youtube if you can access it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlo3MoKl4lU

Otherwise the text is here. Thanks in advance.

This is my project, the 38 foot sloop, Anthem. I want to do a couple of
Newport -Bermuda races with her and then sail her around the world. My
first concern is strength and safety, cost is second and speed is third.
The plan is to replace all plywood bulkheads with Coosa Composite.

The land this yacht is on has been sold and I have to move her by
December 10. I want to epoxy in these two bulkheads and then reinforce
the rest of the boat with 2X12's before I move it. Also I will put a
2X12 across this part of the bulkhead above the deck.

I have ground around 14 inches of paint off in the areas of the bulkheads, 7
inches on each side. Is that enough? Do you have a recommendation for
how many layers of mat and or woven glass to use? I am planning to cut
strips of 1/2 inch coosa composite at a 45 degree angle to use as
fillets, good idea?

I plan to coat the hull with unthickened epoxy, then mix 406 collidal
Silica to
mayonnaise consistency, seat the bulkheads and fillet, then add mat
and/or woven with unthickened epoxy. Comments welcome.

This is the other bulkhead. Is one gallon of epoxy enough for both of these
bulkheads? Too close to call? Get another just in case?

In the West System fiberglass boat repair manual, figure 3-7 describes
adding
stringers to a hull. This figure describes putting a wide layer of
fabric over
the stringer and subsequent layers with less width. It would seem to me
that to tab in a bulkhead, I should use a smaller strip first, and wider
each time until I put the 14 inch width on. Am I wrong? Should I start
with the 14 inch first and then go smaller?

West system also recommends washing the fiberglass with soap and water,
then using a solvent like acetone and then sanding with 80 grit disks .
Sound good? Also I have some gouges left from the 16 grit, should they
be smoothed out? More added?

Once again, here is my email ), I will try to post
this script on the youtube site if you would like to refer to it. I plan
to forward this link to a few I know, West System, also to
rec.boats.building. I welcome any comments good or bad. Thank you for
your attention. .