posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default Very Cool Boat Building Kit

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/n...ng-dinghy.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch the video. I'm trying
to figure out if it could be scaled up to 18 feet or so and
reassembled in the water.

On 12/10/10 7:05 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/n...ng-dinghy.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch the video. I'm trying
to figure out if it could be scaled up to 18 feet or so and
reassembled in the water.

Nice little boat and very well done video and site. It could be rescaled
but assembly while in the water might be very difficult because of the
then relatively ungainly size of the two pieces and problems in
controlling them...unless you are talking about assembly at land's edge,
where you could have one half of the boat wedged against the shore bottom.

Thanks for the cite of the site.

On 12/10/2010 7:05 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/n...ng-dinghy.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch the video. I'm trying
to figure out if it could be scaled up to 18 feet or so and
reassembled in the water.

I don't know about that, but it sure is a pretty little boat. I prefer
the one that doesn't come apart in the middle. I see the site has kits.
I might buy a kit. Thanks!
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:14:28 -0500, "Paul@BYC"
wrote:

On 12/10/2010 7:05 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/n...ng-dinghy.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch the video. I'm trying
to figure out if it could be scaled up to 18 feet or so and
reassembled in the water.

I don't know about that, but it sure is a pretty little boat. I prefer
the one that doesn't come apart in the middle. I see the site has kits.
I might buy a kit. Thanks!

We have room to store a 12 to 13 foot dinghy on top of the aft cabin
and use an electric hoist to launch it. Weight is an issue, maybe
400 to 500 lbs tops including outboard, fuel, anchor,etc. It looks
like that Chesapeake dinghy separates into roughly 1/3 and 2/3rds of
its length so I'm thinking 18 ft overall might be doable which is a
nice size. I'd have to launch it in pieces and reassemble in the
water however.

wrote:

[...]

Well, as a teacher of non-math/science-based liberal arts, my
professorial opinion is that treading water while wrestling 12' and 6'
boat sections together that also have to be bolted might be a heck of a
lot to handle without drowning in the process. If you were successful,
though, it would make a terrific video. I'd buy a copy.

Curious, though, as to why you need an 18' semi-portable boat?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yikes! Assemble in the water?

13 ft. Whaler is 320 lbs dry without motor. 450-475 with a motor.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

There are these new-fangled devices called life jackets and buoyancy
compensators that would help.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:44:26 -0500, "Paul@BYC"
wrote:

Well, as a teacher of non-math/science-based liberal arts, my
professorial opinion is that treading water while wrestling 12' and 6'
boat sections together that also have to be bolted might be a heck of a
lot to handle without drowning in the process. If you were successful,
though, it would make a terrific video. I'd buy a copy.

Curious, though, as to why you need an 18' semi-portable boat?

Heh, need is relative. :-)

There are a lot of guys down in the Bahamas towing 30 ft offshore
center consoles for use as a dinghy. Of course they are using them
for some serious fishing also.

From an assembly standpoint I'm thinking that as long as both halves
have full flotation and some semblence of watertight integrity, that
you could launch them as two seperate boats and then bolt them up in
the water without even getting your feet wet.

wrote:

[...]

I get the idea he's going to launch one half with him in it, and then
row over to the other half for assembly.

There are several possible outcomes. among them:

It could work.

It could work and be funny to watch.

It could not work and be even funnier to watch.

In any case, it's adventurous and probably not too dangerous.