posted to rec.boats.building

Default Cherubini Raider 33 - Need Advice and Information

I have recently acquired a 1985 Cherubini Raider 33 which is not
fitted for shore power. I need guidance on the best choice of shore
power inlet types to install.

I would also appreciate any information about the boat itself. It was
built in Florida in 1985 - original name was MUSIC which was later
changed to KOKOMO. It appears to be a tall rig model, but I have no
specs. Nor do I know the draft. Any info or referrals would be
greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Ancona
posted to rec.boats.building

I don't believe you are correct. I visited Cherubini Yachts around 1980 and enjoyed a test sail on the Delaware river. As I
recall, it was in New Jersey. Mr. Cherubini is the brother of the designer that holds the US Patent on the Scheel Keel or so he
stated at the time. His boats were of a rather traditional narrow form with long keel. The keels of course were of the Scheel
style and unlike most traditional hull designs with a long keel, would turn within its own length. Quite impressive really. The
boat I sailed was in the 40' size range...perhaps even 44'. I believe its beam was around 10'. The hull was fiber glass. The top
sides were timber with glass port lights in the cabin trunk. He stated that he hated plastic portlights, but was very proud of the
fact he could successfully use glass without the typical hull flex of a fiberglass hull shattering the glass. Another unique
attribute, which I have never seen anywhere else was the fact that he cast the internal lead ballast on top of the fiberglass.
Considering the latent heat of the lead, that was quite a feat without damaging the fiberglass. All in all, I was very impressed
with his boats. At the time, I would guess he was in his late forties.

On your question of what type power inlet to use, you should use a marinized socket for what ever service you hope to connect to.
Considering the size of the boat, I would guess a 120 Volt, 30 amp service is adequate. You should use a connector that is
waterproof, mechanically clamps the cable and is corrosion proof (SS). Check with your local marina. Much more importantly never
connect safety ground to your hull, engine or anything on the boat. All wires should connect only to the electrical appliances you
wish to use. That most simple task will prevent electrolytic corrosion, which can be catastrophic.
Steve

"Ancona21" wrote in message ...
I have recently acquired a 1985 Cherubini Raider 33 which is not
fitted for shore power. I need guidance on the best choice of shore
power inlet types to install.

I would also appreciate any information about the boat itself. It was
built in Florida in 1985 - original name was MUSIC which was later
changed to KOKOMO. It appears to be a tall rig model, but I have no
specs. Nor do I know the draft. Any info or referrals would be
greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Ancona

posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
[...]

This is a few years older but...
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/displayPhoto.jsp?ybw=&boat_id=1966112&boatyr=1979& boatname=33'+Cherubini+Raider&photo_revised_date=1 220025729000&photo_name=Photo+2&photo=2
Probabbly have to copy and paste.
I think Cherubini also design a 37' (?) for Hunter.

Raider 18 Ray Norrish UK Power Boats 0 December 23rd 04 02:29 AM
Trojan Sea Raider update from Donny. Donny Boat Building 4 November 26th 04 03:01 PM
Trojan Sea Raider update from Donny. Donny General 10 November 14th 04 04:16 PM
Raider 33 Bobsprit ASA 1 June 30th 04 09:48 PM
Raider 18 For Sale £11,000ono Phil Read UK Power Boats 0 August 28th 03 01:11 PM