posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

Default Cherubini Raider 33 - Need Advice and Information

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
I don't believe you are correct. I visited Cherubini Yachts around 1980 and
enjoyed a test sail on the Delaware river. As I recall, it was in New
Jersey. Mr. Cherubini is the brother of the designer that holds the US
Patent on the Scheel Keel or so he stated at the time. His boats were of a
rather traditional narrow form with long keel. The keels of course were of
the Scheel style and unlike most traditional hull designs with a long keel,
would turn within its own length. Quite impressive really. The boat I
sailed was in the 40' size range...perhaps even 44'. I believe its beam was
around 10'. The hull was fiber glass. The top sides were timber with glass
port lights in the cabin trunk. He stated that he hated plastic portlights,
but was very proud of the fact he could successfully use glass without the
typical hull flex of a fiberglass hull shattering the glass. Another unique
attribute, which I have never seen anywhere else was the fact that he cast
the internal lead ballast on top of the fiberglass. Considering the latent
heat of the lead, that was quite a feat without damaging the fiberglass.
All in all, I was very impressed with his boats. At the time, I would guess
he was in his late forties.

This is a few years older but...
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/displayPhoto.jsp?ybw=&boat_id=1966112&boatyr=1979& boatname=33'+Cherubini+Raider&photo_revised_date=1 220025729000&photo_name=Photo+2&photo=2
Probabbly have to copy and paste.
I think Cherubini also design a 37' (?) for Hunter.