posted to rec.boats.building

Default Paint

I'm building a 9 foot wooden flat bottom boat for myself and the kids. It'
made out of 3/8" plywood from Home Depot and we're probably going to use it
about every other weekend in the water. Where I'm at it's mostly salt water
area (Gulf).

My question is:

Will normal Latex Exterior house paint will work?

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:16:01 -0500, "Dave"
wrote:

I'm building a 9 foot wooden flat bottom boat for myself and the kids. It'
made out of 3/8" plywood from Home Depot and we're probably going to use it
about every other weekend in the water. Where I'm at it's mostly salt water
area (Gulf).

My question is:

Will normal Latex Exterior house paint will work?

If you used a waterproof plywood, either marine grade or exterior
grade you can use about any paint that doesn't wash off. Two of my
Uncles built a car top fishing boat out of waterproof fir plywood.
Painted it with some sort of enamel paint. Used it every weekend
during fishing season. Between fishing trips it was stored in the
garage. The older Uncle died some 15 years later and the boat was
still serviceable.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Dave wrote:
I'm building a 9 foot wooden flat bottom boat for myself and the kids.
It'
made out of 3/8" plywood from Home Depot and we're probably going to
use it
about every other weekend in the water. Where I'm at it's mostly salt
water
area (Gulf).

My question is:

Will normal Latex Exterior house paint will work?

best to seal with 2 coats of solvent thinned epoxy or moisture cured
urethane primer, then ext. latex....

paul - progressive epoxy polymers inc
posted to rec.boats.building

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
m...
Dave wrote:
I'm building a 9 foot wooden flat bottom boat for myself and the kids.
It'
made out of 3/8" plywood from Home Depot and we're probably going to use
it
about every other weekend in the water. Where I'm at it's mostly salt
water
area (Gulf).

My question is:

Will normal Latex Exterior house paint will work?

best to seal with 2 coats of solvent thinned epoxy or moisture cured
urethane primer, then ext. latex....

paul - progressive epoxy polymers inc

I was also fiberglassing the seams today on the boat.
Is it possible to use the Resin without the fiberglass for/as a paint?

posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:13:06 -0500, "Dave"
wrote:

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
om...
Dave wrote:
I'm building a 9 foot wooden flat bottom boat for myself and the kids.
It'
made out of 3/8" plywood from Home Depot and we're probably going to use
it
about every other weekend in the water. Where I'm at it's mostly salt
water
area (Gulf).

My question is:

Will normal Latex Exterior house paint will work?

best to seal with 2 coats of solvent thinned epoxy or moisture cured
urethane primer, then ext. latex....

paul - progressive epoxy polymers inc

I was also fiberglassing the seams today on the boat.
Is it possible to use the Resin without the fiberglass for/as a paint?

Sure. In fact many people that build stitch and glue do exactly that.
Tape the seams and use the rest of the pot to paint the plywood.
However... epoxy has very little UV resistance so cover it with
something else.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.building

Sure. In fact many people that build stitch and glue do exactly that.
Tape the seams and use the rest of the pot to paint the plywood.
However... epoxy has very little UV resistance so cover it with
something else.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks,

Next question:

Using Exterior Latex, what would be a good bonding agent for the Resin?
Latex Primer?

posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:59:11 -0500, "Dave"
wrote:

Sure. In fact many people that build stitch and glue do exactly that.
Tape the seams and use the rest of the pot to paint the plywood.
However... epoxy has very little UV resistance so cover it with
something else.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks,

Next question:

Using Exterior Latex, what would be a good bonding agent for the Resin?
Latex Primer?

For a stitch and glue boat you should be using epoxy as for sticking
things together it is so much stronger. Most of the epoxy sold for
boat building develop a surface coating of a somewhat oily substance
refereed to as "blush" which has to be removed before additional coats
of anything are applied. This can be done by sanding it by washing, if
washing you can use soap and water or my fiberglass mate's recipe of
vinegar and water.

Now we have eliminated the blush we have to deal with the slick, shiny
surface that epoxy hardens to. Usually by sanding with about 220 grit
paper.

So... what you have ended up with is a 220 grit finish on a material
that is pretty much impervious to your paint, i.e., the paint can't
soak in. Probably much like painting that hard cement board (I believe
it is refereed to as "dry wall") used to finish off the inside of
houses.

Frankly, I don't know a thing about house paint but I suspect that any
primer that you can use over "cement board" and a paint that doesn't
wash off will work.

If the paint does fall off it just paint it with something else :-)

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the assistance..

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:20:14 -0400, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Dave wrote:
I'm building a 9 foot wooden flat bottom boat for myself and the kids.
It'
made out of 3/8" plywood from Home Depot and we're probably going to
use it
about every other weekend in the water. Where I'm at it's mostly salt
water
area (Gulf).

My question is:

Will normal Latex Exterior house paint will work?

best to seal with 2 coats of solvent thinned epoxy or moisture cured
urethane primer, then ext. latex....

paul - progressive epoxy polymers inc

With all due respect, that is not the way to go. I am going to assume he
used regular exterior ply and it is more vulnerable to moisture damage
than BS1088 or similar. If he coats it with two coats of thinned epoxy,
moisture that gets in (and it will) can not get out. Wooden boats are
best done old school with paint and sealer. A good wood primer, some
sandpaper, and a couple coats of acrylic based paint, he doesn't want to
use latex, at least on the outside, inside is ok...

Let the wood breathe and the boat will last a lot longer...

Scotty, just my opinion.

I think it depends on many things. did any scrapes or dings damage the
boat? Dragged it up on the beach and wore all the coating off the
bottom?

But your assertion that somehow moisture penetrates in through the
epoxy and can't get out just isn't logical - there is no one way
valves in the epoxy :-)

My own experience seems quite different from yours. For example, I
built an 8 ft. dinghy using exterior grade plywood some ten years
ago.. Tapped the joints and covered the outside of the bottom with
IIRC 400 gm cloth. The rest of the boat was painted with epoxy, epoxy
primer, two part polyurethane. Some eight years after I built it a
bloke walked by the dinghy, bottom side up in the dock in front of my
sailboat, and started to admire it. finally said, "would I sell it?".
I did immediately, and I saw the boat, now 10 years + old, still being
used just the other day.

Of course, my boat is/was used in salt water which is somewhat of a
preservative, or perhaps preventative, as far as dry rot goes, but
still, a ten year + life for a 8 ft. two sheet of plywood, dinghy does
seem satisfactory, or at least value for money.

Of course, just painting works also. I believe I have mentioned a
fishing boat they two Uncles built from exterior grade fir plywood.
Kept in the garage and used a day or two every week during fishing
season that was still usable after 15 years.

..

Paint Nigel Molesworth Cruising 2 March 25th 09 01:52 AM
Paint Nelson General 23 November 7th 07 03:56 PM
Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Antifouling paint reacts with gloss paint. ARGHH! Stu Knowles Boat Building 7 August 3rd 04 11:31 PM
What paint to use Pat Boat Building 10 March 16th 04 01:43 PM