Default Paint

"Nelson" wrote in message
I am rebuilding my aluminium boat any suggestion on primer and paint that
will not brake the budget?

Nelson

What makes you think your budget has brakes?

Eisboch

On Nov 5, 9:54?am, "Nelson" wrote:
I am rebuilding my aluminium boat any suggestion on primer and paint that
will not brake the budget?

Nelson

I found these remarks that may prove useful:

"To paint Aluminum is labor intensive. The environmental effects of
zinc chromate (aluminum primer) is deadly to the human body.

We use Aluma-wash then Alumiprep before the primer is applied. Awl-
Grip is the preferred color paint involving a two part process that is
expensive. All Aluminum starts corroding (rusting) once it hits the
air while some have anodizing applied but if scratched or welded the
erosion continues. Our boats range from 40 to 200 feet and few paint
jobs last more than ten years.

In Ft.Lauderdale, a private tug named Hero still operates for over 30
years without any paint. She is all aluminum with an aircooled diesel
and no thru-hulls. Her entire hull covering exists of a wax coating on
the inside and outside. Zero problems and no maintenance after the
initial coat.

stevens marine
- Ft .Laud. Fla. USA"

Nelson wrote:
I am rebuilding my aluminium boat any suggestion on primer and paint that
will not brake the budget?

Nelson

Yes, don't paint it. Let it oxidize to a nice patina.

On Nov 5, 11:59 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Nelson" wrote in message

I am rebuilding my aluminium boat any suggestion on primer and paint that
will not brake the budget?

Nelson

What makes you think your budget has brakes?

Eisboch

Mine does, and they engage when I'm spending too much on boat stuff
and the wife gets the credit card bill!

Default Paint/questions

The only thing is I will have some patches that will be visible but I guess
thats not really a big issue :-) Another couple of questions any experience
with alumaloy brazing rod you use with a torch? How effective is a epoxy
patch on a hairline crack and best ways to remove tar that bin applied to
the floor? I thank you in advance for the help :-)

Nelson

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
Nelson wrote:
I am rebuilding my aluminium boat any suggestion on primer and paint

that
will not brake the budget?

Nelson

Yes, don't paint it. Let it oxidize to a nice patina.

Tons of help :-) and yes big mess, the crack is behind a rib on the bottom
it looks like the seat bracket came loose and rubbed up and down on the
bottom is approx 5" long and at the most 1/32" wide. I will skip on the
alumaloy the other thought is getting a piece of aluminium larger then the
crack jb weld the patch onto the boat then use self sealing pop rivets
around it? And the tar with the soaked rag will be a pain in the a#$ but
great idea :-) Thats what I will do and right now all this work is out doors
then I will drop it in the garage

Nelson

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:29:22 -0500, Nelson penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

The only thing is I will have some patches that will be visible but I

guess
thats not really a big issue :-) Another couple of questions any

experience
with alumaloy brazing rod you use with a torch?

It sucks. It is way too hard and brittle to help.... and if the boat
is made of heat treated material you'll ruin the boat.

How effective is a epoxy
patch on a hairline crack

It depends. What is it that is cracked?

and best ways to remove tar that bin applied to
the floor? I thank you in advance for the help :-)

If it is really tar. Use a solvent soaked rag... this is all outdoors
and away from all buildings, right?.... to soften the tar and scrape
off with a plastic scraper. What a mess.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Paint-on foam? Robert or Karen Swarts Boat Building 3 October 22nd 05 12:17 AM
Antifouling paint reacts with gloss paint. ARGHH! Stu Knowles Boat Building 7 August 3rd 04 11:31 PM
Bottom paint Tamaroak Cruising 0 July 10th 04 12:44 PM
What paint to use Pat Boat Building 10 March 16th 04 01:43 PM