Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default Glue thickness?

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 01:15:14 -0800 (PST), timmynocky
wrote in rec.boats.building:

I agree with Steve, after all resorcinol is what they use to make
marine plywood and for good reason.

Resocinol glues was used by the guy who built my previous boat. He was
a ship building engineer, and the boat was a Primaat aka Buccaneer,
designed by van de Stadt. Some 25 years after the launch, some of the
original scarfings and fixations of the ply sheets to the stringers
started to crystallize and crumble. And I see the same in my 44 years
old optimist dinghi (not sailed for 40 years except for one year when
my sons used it before growing otu of it too fast...) That's why I
banned it from my workshop. Sorry. The sliding hatch roof on my
present boat was one of the first items I rebuilt - the same technique
like here, and it's still preserved the same stability like in the
first day, for 12 years now.

Cheers,
U.

SS Tubing Thickness for Bow Rail Joe Bleau Boat Building 2 January 31st 07 08:18 PM
Strip Planking Hull Thickness Max Hazelhurst Boat Building 12 December 4th 06 01:17 PM
"Marine Glue" [email protected] Boat Building 12 July 17th 05 09:54 PM
Sprayskirt Glue? peteg General 7 January 5th 04 06:28 AM
Sprayskirt Glue? peteg Whitewater 1 January 3rd 04 05:56 PM