posted to rec.boats.building

Default Cut and Fold Aluminum

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote:

reputation except for the fast ones, the ones with 50 - 60 horsepower,
or more.

Really fast?
How fast is really fast?
Do they meet USCG guidelines for power for their size?

Merry Christmas Bruce.

The reason I ask is that while I know there are some stupidly fast 50-60 HP
rigs out there the average USCG approved 50 HP rig is not going to top 40
MPH, Well not by much. After much tweaking I have 42-44 GPS on my 16' flat
bottom with a stainless prop, light chop, cool dry air, with two guys in the
boat so it balances pretty good. If in our other discussions you are
thinking that's pretty fast then I can understand some of our disagreement.
That's real fast for that boat, and I have had some folks express surprise
when it goes by, but in the genre of small fishing and bass boats its not
fast at all.

posted to rec.boats.building

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote:

[...]

I think that you misread what I wrote - "50 - 60 horsepower, or
more.." I didn't restrict my comments to only 50 - 60 H.P.

I have no idea about Coastguard restrictions but can walk down the
dock here and see boats with two 200 H.P. outboards bolted on the back
and they are in the 20 ft. range in length. Tenders for some of the
larger yachts...

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote:

[...]

Actually in the 20' class there are plenty of boats than can handle that
much HP and MORE. USCG's HP rating guideline booklet does not rate boats
over 20'. Plenty are manufactured with "HP: UNLIMITED" on the data plate.
My Baker Custom said unlimited on its data plate. My dad is running a pair
of 150's on his 22' cuddy cabin, but it's a different class of boat. I was
just wondering if we were thinking about the same speed ranges when
conversing. Most of my thoughts were in regards to 20' class shallow draft
70-90 MPH boats. Usually in the 200 to 250 race tune power range. There
are 20 footers in this class that will break 90 (some pushing the 100 mark)
with a 200 and others with a 250XS that struggle to break 80. I actually
have a spare 225 that I have been playing with the idea of building a fast
hull for.

What I will probably wind up with in the end is a compromise. Probably a
shallow V (15 deg or less deadrise (just enough to shed air bubbles)) pocket
tunnel (specifically for jets) with an extension plate to mate to the jet
shoe, and swap the lower unit for a jet pump for river running. In the mean
time of course I have wrapped my mind and visualization skills around a
number of designs from super stable pretty fast twin tunnels to super fast
pad bottoms. Since any boat I run is going to have internal configuration
like a bass boat I pretty much dismissed CLASS As and pickle forks.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 22:46:53 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote:

[...]

Walking down the other dock the other day I came across an open boat
with two 150 HP outboards. I measured the length and it was 20 ft.
LOD. An essentially open boat. I think you'd call it a front loader
or some such name as it had seats forward of the helm which was just a
small panel located amidships with the wheel and instrument panel -
with a little canopy over the seat and instrument panel.

I wonder about whoever owns it... an open boat in a country where it
is either pouring down rain or the sun is blazing down. Perhaps that
is why it just sits there at the dock?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message

Walking down the other dock the other day I came across an open boat
with two 150 HP outboards. I measured the length and it was 20 ft.
LOD. An essentially open boat. I think you'd call it a front loader
or some such name as it had seats forward of the helm which was just a
small panel located amidships with the wheel and instrument panel -
with a little canopy over the seat and instrument panel.

Some guys favor a boat like that for some types of fishing as it allows them
to fight a fish all the way around the boat. Some people just buy a boat
because they think it looks cool. Some just want to be able to tell their
friends they have a boat.

Member

I worked for many years on brake presses. The biggest one I worked on was a 600ton Cincinatti, which could bent a 20 ft length of half inch steel plate 90 degrees. Boy, I miss those toys.
Some types of aluminium bend a sharp 90 degrees with no risk of breaking, some have to be heated to make even a radiused 90 degree bend.On that stuff even a slight scratch on the back side of it will cause a crack.
I build all my hatches by notching out the corners of a piece of 1/8th inch aluminium and after having slight kinks put in corner to corner for stiffness, I have the four sides bent up 90 degrees. This leaves one four 3 inch welds on the corners, to finish a fine aluminium hatch cover. As a former brake operator I know it's only about 20 minutes work, so it doesn't cost much to have a sheet metal shop do it.
Junior Member

asp tree grid ejasjueuekfa
asp tree grid