posted to rec.boats.building

Default 86 Volvo Penta 350 white smoke

Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:11:27 -0700 (PDT), fzbuilder
wrote:

Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Usually white smoke in the exhaust is caused by water leaking into the
combustion chamber.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Usually white smoke in the exhaust is caused by water leaking into the
combustion chamber.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

....from a blown cylinder head gasket. This can be reasonably easy to
fix, if caught quickly, before the mating surfaces erode too much.

Brian W
posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

Hey Guys, I have an 86 Penta 350 in my Bayliner and at start up there
is no smoke, but when it gets warmed up around 170, it starts putting
out white smoke. My oil is clean and the engine runs pretty smooth
however I am getting very little to no water out the exhaust and yes I
have the outdrive with the prop off resting in a tank of water. No
leaking water into the bilge. I just replaced the impeller and am now
thinking of the water pump, but the smoke is making think there is
another problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Usually white smoke in the exhaust is caused by water leaking into the
combustion chamber.

Only problems with that idea is that first of all, water doesn't do
that. Each pound of fuel burned produced abot a pound of water. Then
there is the water dumped into the exhaust elbow. Lots of piston
airplanes have used water injected into the intake manifolds to
prevent detonation. Jets have used water injection to increase the
mass flow, hence thrust. No smoke in either case. You can get wisps of
cloud that evaporate almost instantly and never make it more than a
foot from the transom, but it isn't smoke anymore than the wisps of
white at the tailpipe of any engine in the winter are smoke.

Glycol will indeed cause white exhaust smoke. My Starcraft is glycol
cooled. It had a blown head gasket when I got it. Luckily it has a
inline four, something you can work on. I will ask the previous owner
about glycol smoke.

In short, never with water, with glycol always.

Casady
posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

[...]

Close but no cigar.

Jets use water injection to augment thrust however the EGT is high
enough that the water vapor is not visible.

Internal combustion engines use water injection to allow increased
power settings but again, the water quantity and exhaust gas
temperatures are sufficiently high that the water vapor cannot be
seen.

However I'm not going to argue with you. Google on white smoke in
exhaust and you'll find some 145,000 others who will tell you that
water in the combustion chamber causes white smoke - argue with them.

Volvo Penta 350 86 white smoke fzbuilder General 13 September 13th 09 11:16 PM
Volvo Penta Gordon General 1 August 20th 06 08:57 PM
Volvo Penta 700 [email protected] General 0 June 10th 06 05:18 PM
Volvo Penta Fernando General 1 April 27th 05 05:15 PM
Volvo Penta MD1 Niclas Flatholm Boat Building 6 August 10th 03 02:19 AM