posted to rec.boats.building

Default Air cooled two stroke as inboard?

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:08:53 +0000, Richard Casady wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:11:56 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

Isn't an old Vetus an air cooled two stroke marine engine, or am I
imagining some of that? And didn't they do something strange like run
backwards and forwards?

Not strange.
Steam is nearly dead, for large merchant ships, replaced by direct drive
Diesel. You stop and reset the valve gear, and then restart turning the
other direction. If you are inept at manuvering, you can run out of the
compressed air used to start the engine.

Vintage Washington, Atlas and Enterprise (and others) diesel engines did
this also. They were frequently used in tugs and other medium sized
boats. Not sure if there are any modern midsize diesels which work this
way.
posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:16:09 -0400, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:21:25 -0700 (PDT), Robin
wrote:

I had a brainwave the other day about putting a small (300cc)
aircooled two stroke as an inboard in a small wooden boat. With
adequate air circulation can anyone see any potential issues here? I
would build the boat with this purpose in mind so adapting something
to fit would not be a problem.

Robin

How are you going to cool it adequately?

I would assume, for an air-cooled engine, that's where the "adequate air
circulation" comes in to play. One would probably have to be a bit
careful not to push the engine too hard too long, as well, since many
applications for these engines are not at steady high output. (There
are exceptions--ultralight aircraft engines for one example.)

I don't see any inherent insurmountable objections to doing this. A
speed reduction of some sort would be nearly essential, of course, or
else using a jet drive. Small two stroke engines in general tend to be
inefficient and noisy and smelly and a bit temperamental, although the
newer ones are vastly improved over older designs. On the other hand,
they are lightweight and generally unaffected by being off level
(limited mostly by the particular carburetor design), which can be
advantages for use in a small boat.

It's not as though there aren't a great many jet skis and boats with
older outboards zipping around just fine with two stroke engines every
day. Granted, most of these are water cooled, but still...

There is a world of difference between a water cooled two-stroke, and
an aircooled two-stroke, especially in a confined space. When I ask
about cooling, it's because there will be a need for BIG fans to make
this work. Air cooled motorcycles tend to overheat sitting in traffic.
They need to keep moving to maintain reasonable temps. "Police
Special" Harleys have a detuned and lower compression engine for this
reason. Just being outside in open air is not enough. Put an engine
like that as an inboard on a boat and you are in for trouble.

It really needs to be addressed. I'm not sure it can be done
practically.

Even our watercooled Kawasaki's depend on a radiator that gets air
flow... Unless you cooled it with an open system. I mean, it could work
for you but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth..

--
Wafa free since 2009
posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:36:47 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:32:43 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"Andrew Erickson" wrote in message
In article ,

wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:16:09 -0400, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Snowmobile engines traditionally were air cooled two stroke engines
(although more recently four stroke engines and liquid cooling have
become common), and generally inside cowlings, and they generally manage
to avoid overheating just fine. Likewise, chainsaw engines don't tend
to overheat all the time, despite often being run rather hard. It's a
question of the specific engine design (presumably based on the intended
application), not a problem common to all two strokes.

You are quite correct, though, that the original poster (should they
attempt the conversion) should give some careful consideration to
cooling. I don't think the end result would ever be an ideal boat
motor, but I also think it could be perfectly adequate and probably a
lot of fun if you're into that sort of thing.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot

Some small outboards were/are air cooled as well like the Sears Game
Fishers, I think up to 5hp.

Not even remotely the same thing as mounting an air cooled engine as
an inboard.

Err - the Honda 2 H.P. is an air cooled engine. Apparently has no
problems with its cooling system. I had, and several friends presently
have, air cooled 2-stroke, portable generators. Millions of lawn
mowers are air cooled.

I could go on but why bother. the O.P. already mentioned that he could
foresee the problem of adequate air supply. What in the world is going
to be a problem?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Man, if I were ever camped next to someone with a 2 smoke genset, they
better also have a good supply of ammunition

--
Wafa free since 2009

wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:16:09 -0400, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

As well as the current Honda 2 H.P., which as far as I know has never
had a problem with its cooling system. In fact Honda brags
considerably about how well it works and how light it is.

Given that literally millions of air cooled lawn mowers have operated
successfully with little (probably no) maintenance all over the world
it is doubtful that air cooling is going to be a problem.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I just don't remember ever seeing a two smoke lawnmower... Not doubting
you, just started thinking about it and I was like... hummmmm, nope,
just never saw one that I can remember..

--
Wafa free since 2009

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:16:09 -0400, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Why? The little 1 KW (actually 900-something watts) 2 stroke units,
made in India by the way, run as quite as a 4-stroke.

Not all 2-strokes have tunes exhaust.

wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:16:09 -0400, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Uhm, Bruce, that turns out not to be the case.

Think of the exhaust pipe as part of the intake system.

These India units may be quieter than others, but the pipe is still tuned.

I promise.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:16:09 -0400, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Correction: run as quiet as...

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

I just don't remember ever seeing a two smoke lawnmower... Not doubting
you, just started thinking about it and I was like... hummmmm, nope,
just never saw one that I can remember..

Oooo weeeee! A buddy had one years ago. Smelly and smoky!