posted to rec.boats.building

Default outboard oil mix

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 19:11:24 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Bruce,
You are a nice guy, but you are not correct here. Please pay close
attention, heavy lube oil contamination will create detonation in spark
ignition engines. It will melt pistons, spark plugs and heads, especially in
outboard motors. The percentage of oil in the fuel that creates this damage
is a matter of heat.The higher the heat of the combustion chamber, the lower
the oil percentage threshold that diesels the fuel mix . The reason this is
more dangerous in outboards is because the noise of detonation is muffled by
the water jacket and masked by excess ambient noise in the boat.
Additionally the severity of this condition is greatly amplified by throttle
position and the general mode of operation is WOT. If you think for one
second that flash point of fuel is not significant, place a drop of gasoline
down the barrel of a daisy BB gun and fire it. No change. Place of drop of
oil in the barrel and repeat the test. It easily detonates when the spring
is released. I used to this all the time as a kid.
Steve

I suspect that you are correct when you use the words "heavy lube oil
contamination will create detonation" however whether this is a factor
in outboard motors in normal use is questionable. In the old days
outboard used gas oil mixes of 10::1 with no apparent damage. Then
mixes went to the 20 - 25::1 range and more recently to the 50::1
range.

While I do not doubt that there is some level of oil mix that will
cause detonation but I doubt very strongly that it is a factor in
actual use given that oil mixes were, in the early days, recommended
that were 3 times richer then today's rather anemic mixtures.

In addition premixed gasoline is used in chain saws, motorcycles, weed
whackers, small generators, lawn mowers and even model airplanes. All
without noticeable detonation problems.

Another point is that I have seen 4 stroke engines that used so much
oil that the spark plugs fouled within hours of use, but were not
damaged by detonation. Most 2-stroke outboard engines, on the other
hand, do not contaminate their plugs in months/years of use.

While I would not argue with your assertion I do not believe that
"heavy lube oil contamination of the fuel" is ever going to be a
problem in even poorly serviced outboard engines to a degree necessary
to produce detonation.

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:03:58 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Not so sure. Gasoline flashes fairly low. But oil has lower octane than
any gas. So pinking or detonation could still be an issue, no doubt.
That's if the compression still makes it up there.....

Brian W

Steve Lusardi wrote:
50 to 1 Remember, too much oil will reduce the flash point of the fuel
and
create detonation, which will melt piston and head.
Steve

"rckchp" wrote in message
OT. I'm reactivating a 1997 Evinrude 9.9 hp outboard and I've
misplaced the owner manual, and I don't remember the proper oil mix
ratio. Is it 50 to 1, or 100 to 1? Thanks.

Flash point has nothing to do with detonation which is controlled by
octane rating and compression.

Flash point is the temperature at which vapors ignite and since
kerosene (with its higher flash point) will burn in most internal
combustion engines it seems that flash point is of only minor
interest.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

Years ago when Evinrude and Mercury were promoting the V4 and their swirl
scavenged 3 and 6 cyl motors, I made a fortune rebuilding these engines for
the USMC, which all suffered from Marines using too much oil in the fuel. I
have also fried Corvette small block motors which suffered intake manifold
leaks on the bottom port surfaces sucking oil vapor from the lifter valley,
as well as Opel fours that lost oil control rings on the German Autobahn. At
partial throttle slight power loss and some pinging results. At full
throttle, parts melt..
Steve

wrote:

[...]

. ..

"rckchp" wrote in message
OT. I'm reactivating a 1997 Evinrude 9.9 hp outboard and I've
misplaced the owner manual, and I don't remember the proper oil mix
ratio. Is it 50 to 1, or 100 to 1? Thanks.

Flash point has nothing to do with detonation which is controlled by
octane rating and compression.

Flash point is the temperature at which vapors ignite and since
kerosene (with its higher flash point) will burn in most internal
combustion engines it seems that flash point is of only minor
interest.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:00:05 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Years ago when Evinrude and Mercury were promoting the V4 and their swirl
scavenged 3 and 6 cyl motors, I made a fortune rebuilding these engines for
the USMC, which all suffered from Marines using too much oil in the fuel. I
have also fried Corvette small block motors which suffered intake manifold
leaks on the bottom port surfaces sucking oil vapor from the lifter valley,
as well as Opel fours that lost oil control rings on the German Autobahn. At
partial throttle slight power loss and some pinging results. At full
throttle, parts melt..
Steve

How about some definitive numbers here. You say that the engines were
failing due to excessive oil in the premix - how much was too much?

Your experience seems very much at odds with my own as we had a slue
of Mercury six cylinder inline engines, in Iran Jaya, that were
seizing and the solution prior to my taking over as marine maintenance
was to add oil and add oil and add oil.
(the actual cause was weak fuel pumps which caused the top carb to run
lean).

I've seen detroit diesels "run away" and literally run on lube oil
from failed blower seals with no detonation problems. If too much oil
causes detonation then these engines certainly should have detonated
as they were running on straight lube oil.

Another problem I have with your assertion is that extra heavy oil
mixes - double the amount of oil, or more - usually resulted in the
engines running cooler then normal due to very poor combustion of the
high oil content mixes.

The small block chevies I've seen suck oil from the intake manifold
all ran with less power and smoked a lot but with no damage to pistons
from detonation.

In fact the only detonation damage I have ever seen was always traced
back to a lean mixture or too high supercharger pressure for the RPM.

By the way, in the early days of Yamaha racing the road racers had
problems with the engines seizing when you rolled the throttle back at
the end of a long straight. High engine temperature from the long full
throttle run combined with a sudden reduction in lube oil from the
closed throttle valve. (It made the drivers rather unhappy when the
rear wheel stopped turning at over 100 MPH). The immediate solution
was "ADD OIL" to the premix. It didn't cause detonation.

Even model airplane engines would sometime detonate - always from a
lean mixture.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

Bruce,
Lets define detonation first, just so we are both on the same sheet of
music. Detonation is the collision of two simultaneous spreading flame
fronts sweeping across the combustion chamber. When the two flame fronts
collide, the remaining fuel burns at an explosive rate causing both a very
rapid rise in cylinder pressure and temperature. Under normal operation the
fuel/ air charge ignites from a single point in the squish area of the
combustion chamber and ignition propagates at a controlled rate so that all
the fuel is burning before the piston starts its downward travel. This is
timed so that the maximum cylinder pressure achieved from the burn occurs at
the most advantageous crankshaft angle. The start of the ignition cycle is
supposed to be controlled by spark timing on gasoline engines and injector
timing on diesels. The extent of the damage caused by this phenomena is a
product of the remaining fuel yet unburned at the time of the collision. You
are correct when you stated that detonation can be observed in many other
engine types. In point of fact, it can also occur in firearms. All fuels are
designed to burn at a controlled rate and temperature, but when those
parameters are exceeded, the burn characteristics of the fuel change.

I disagree with your statement that your experiences are at odds with mine.
I don't think they are. Your experience in Iran as the first example, I
suggest, was not detonation, it was overheating caused by the lean
condition. This violated the stoichiometric ratio of fuel and air that
gasoline is designed to burn within and the burn temperature rose to
abnormal levels overheating the piston causing thermal expansion beyond the
available space for this (piston/cylinder clearance), hence the seizure.
This is also the case in racing two stroke motorcycles. In the old days lube
oil was added to the fuel at fueling time, which made the fuel air ratio
important for lubrication as well as burn parameters. On all later model
high performance two stroke engines, a separate oil pump was employed that
metered oil into the air fuel stream from a separate oil tank eliminating
this fuel/oil dependency. It may be necessary to state that lean is mean.
All internal combustion engines are really hot air engines and it is the
displacement difference of the ingested air at atmospheric temperatures
verses the same air heated by fuel combustion that drives the piston
downward, not the exhaust gases of the fuel burned. So, it stands to reason
that the more heat generated during the ignition cycle, the greater the
cylinder pressure achieved. Maximum heat is generated in the leaner side of
stoichiometric, so it can be a fine line between max power and disaster.
Now, I am not saying detonation did not occur, I was not there, but if it
did occur, it was a secondary effect, not primary and in point of fact, the
addition of excessive oil in the fuel aggravated the condition.

In the case of Detroit Diesel engines (DDA), yes, they very happily will run
on their own lube oil, but that is not detonation it is simply compression
ignition, as the self ignition temperature of lube oil and diesel fuel is
similar. This fact supports my original statement that the addition of lube
oil causes detonation in gasoline engines, because gasoline self ignites at
a higher temperature than lube oil. Please recall the big warning sign in
the cabs of the military trucks with multi fuel engines stating not to use
high octane gasoline. This is because the compression temperature rise in
not sufficient to ignite that fuel.

Please note that I have avoided the causes of detonation because there are
many. This discussion is only about the presence of lube oil in gasoline and
there is a limit of tolerance before the compression ignition of the oil
takes place prior to the occurrence of the spark. This causes pinging which
is normally heard by the operator, but if this warning is ignored and wide
open throttle (WOT) is used, you can expect melted parts.
Steve

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 11:11:52 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

[...]

Disregarding the firearms for a bit :-) Detonation, as I learned it,
is simply the uncontrolled combustion of the charge. It may, or may
not, be the product of two simultaneous flame fronts but is usually
not described that way was as it is the nearly instantaneous
combustion of the charge. An explosion, if you will.

Ignition is not always initiated from a squish area - think flat head
where the squish area is the cylinder area and ignition is effected in
the valve pocket.

Be careful that you do not confuse detonation with pre-ignition. They
are two different activities and may occur either separately or in
combination. Detonation often times occurs after the normal ignition
event.

I disagree with your statement that your experiences are at odds with mine.
I don't think they are. Your experience in Iran as the first example, I

Irian Jaya - in Indonesia :-)

suggest, was not detonation, it was overheating caused by the lean
condition. This violated the stoichiometric ratio of fuel and air that
gasoline is designed to burn within and the burn temperature rose to
abnormal levels overheating the piston causing thermal expansion beyond the
available space for this (piston/cylinder clearance), hence the seizure.

The problem with the Mercury straight sixes was simple enough after we
admitted to ourselves what was happening. Three of the engines were
mounted on a "crew change" boat and because the run to the air field
was nearly four hours someone had built a 100 gallon tank into the
rear of the boat. The little crankcase driven fuel pumps weren't quite
strong enough for full throttle operation and the two top cylinders
were running lean.

As the Indonesian Boat Boys had two positions for the throttles - idle
and full throttle - when I got there we were burning up at least an
engine a trip.

After a few runs (and overhauls) I realized that the problem was
always the two upper cylinders and put pressure gages at the carbs.
then of course it was simple. We installed an electric fuel pump with
pressure regulators at the carbs and never had another problem from
that end of the engine.

[...]

These were the first of the Yamaha racing motorcycles and ran premix.
The problem was augmented by the tuned exhaust that allowed us to get
more power from a 250 cc engine than other people got from nearly
twice that capacity of four stroke. The initial response from Yamaha
was that we were running them too lean and we had to tell them the jet
sizes we were using to argue that we were actually running a bit rich.
Yamaha came to the conclusion that the problem was the hot engine and
leaning the oil quantity when the throttle went closed and one of the
schemes was actually not to use the engine for braking but to depend
on the brakes alone and pull the clutch in, which sounded weird but
worked. It may even be normal practice now.

In the case of Detroit Diesel engines (DDA), yes, they very happily will run
on their own lube oil, but that is not detonation it is simply compression
ignition, as the self ignition temperature of lube oil and diesel fuel is
similar. This fact supports my original statement that the addition of lube
oil causes detonation in gasoline engines, because gasoline self ignites at
a higher temperature than lube oil. Please recall the big warning sign in
the cabs of the military trucks with multi fuel engines stating not to use
high octane gasoline. This is because the compression temperature rise in
not sufficient to ignite that fuel.

I'm not familiar with military multi-fuel engines, other then the
navy's jets that ran on gasoline or jet fuel.

But, the major difference between high and low test gasoline is the
additives to control detonation, which makes the high octane fuels
actually burn slower. As I said, I'm not familiar with the multi-fuel
engines but certainly 115/145 avgas would run in a cushman motor
scooter without detonation. Started fine too....

Please note that I have avoided the causes of detonation because there are
many. This discussion is only about the presence of lube oil in gasoline and
there is a limit of tolerance before the compression ignition of the oil
takes place prior to the occurrence of the spark. This causes pinging which
is normally heard by the operator, but if this warning is ignored and wide
open throttle (WOT) is used, you can expect melted parts.
Steve

I'm not sure about this. A normal gasoline engine has relatively low
compression and I can't see compression ignition in this case. My
experience with diesels seemed to indicate that diesel fuel used to
prime the engine worked much better then engine oil.

I really would like to get a better handle on this as nothing in my
experience and nothing I have ever read indicates that detonation is
caused by anything but lean mixture or a heavily overloaded the engine
- both causing the same condition, too hot a combustion chamber.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.building

Bruce,
We could probably carry this thread on infinitem, but I have more than 40
years of custom, high performance engine design behind me. I specifically
avoided the causes of detonation, but preignition is a cause of detonation,
not a dissimilar event. This phenomena can be best explained as glow
plugging if you will, which is created by everything from hanging gasket
material to a glowing carbon deposit, but the result is the collision of a
flame front from the glowing ember colliding with the one created by the
timed spark. Detonation can also be caused by compression ignition causing
the secondary flame front. Please remember the purpose of the compression
stroke is to raise the fuel mixture close to the self ignition temperature,
but not to cross it, as correct ignition timing is reserved for the spark .
In the case of air cooled engines, this temperature thing is further
agravated by a 150 F degree higher head temperature than a water cooled
head, hence the lower compression ratio. So, any abnormality that creates a
higher than designed chamber temperature can easily move the combustion
enviroment beyond the designed fuel envelope resulting in detonation. As
mentioned earlier, detonation also occurs in fire arms and is almost always
caused by too little propellant in too large of a case volume. If this light
charge happens by chance to be distributed to different areas within the
case and the primer fires, it is possible that sparks from the primer starts
two flame fronts that collide. This condition is referred to as a squib load
and it is catastrophic and has caused mechanical firearm failures resulting
in serious personal injury to the shooter. I am sure you can see the
similarities.

We are just touching on a very high tech subject and it is far too technical
to do true justice to it in a NG thread, but there is quite a bit of this
information readily available on the net. If this subject interests you, I
highly suggest you do some reading on the web. I find combustion engineering
facinating and I really enjoy playing around with it. My current experiments
involve electrorheology for efficient combustion in internal combustion
engines. If you like contact me off-line, as it would be a bit off topic.
Steve

Which outboard? HK General 38 June 15th 07 05:15 PM
No electric power to outboard engine (Johnson 150 outboard) [email protected] Electronics 3 August 8th 05 10:51 PM
FS: Outboard in NY Bobsprit ASA 0 October 20th 04 12:43 AM
Help ID an OMC Outboard RealBoats General 8 May 10th 04 10:03 PM
I/O OR OUTBOARD - WHAT'S BEST?? Jim Stallings General 20 September 22nd 03 06:26 PM