HK HK is offline

Default Which outboard?

I know someone considering the purchase of a 21' Parker center console,
the model with the 21-degree transom deadrise. The boat itself weighs
2750 pounds. Great open fishing boat.

Parker recommends three Yamaha engines in its four stroke line: 150 hp,
200 hp and 225 hp.

For a boat with the same hull but with a pilothouse cabin that brings
the hull weight to 3250 pounds, the Yamaha performance page indicates a
top speed of 39.3 mph with the 150 hp engine running 5600 rpm and
burning 17.5 gph. At a cruise speed of 25.6 mph at 4000 rpm, the rig
burns 7.8 gph.

I'm recommending the 150 hp engine for the 21-foot center console. I'm
guessing a top end of 42-43 mph with a fuel burn of 15-16 gph, and a
4000 rpm cruise of of 27-28 mph, burning 6.5 to 7 gph.

I don't see any need to step up to a 200 hp V6 on this boat. The days
you can comfortably run more than 25 mph in a 21' boat are rare on
Chesapeake Bay. The 150 is about $4000 less than the 200.

Any comment on the extrapolations?

HK wrote:

[...]

You're still going to have the engine running at 5600 rpm WOT, and
burning 17.5 gph, with a different prop, maybe.

I'm surprised the cruise engine speed is as high as 4000 rpm, but this
is a 4 stroke. It's also quite a bit of fuel at WOT for any stock 150.

No E-Tec options to consider?

I know... it's a Parker.

Rob
HK HK is offline

trainfan1 wrote:
HK wrote:

[...]

I doubt the engine will be running at 5600 rpm. No one I know wants that
kind of fuel burn.

We got a data sheet faxed from Parker. Their sheets are pretty reliable.

4000 rpm happens to be the sweet spot for these four stroke Yamahas. It
is on my 225, too.

The data sheet says 16 gph at 5600 producing 40.9 mph, and 7.30 gph at
4000 rpm producing 26.2 mph. That's pretty close to my guess
extrapolations. No reason to go to a 200 or 225 hp.

Naw. Not interested in an Evinrude eTec. I like four stroke engines.
So does my friend.
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:18:33 -0400, HK penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

trainfan1 wrote:
HK wrote:
[...]

I'm curious to know what the 200hp would do RPM-wise and Fuel-wise
with the 200hp..... at 26 MPH.

I dunno, but...at WOT, the 200 is only 3 mph faster than the 150 on the
same boat. I would guess at 26 mph that 200 would be spinning at 3800 rpm.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:24:55 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I'm curious to know what the 200hp would do RPM-wise and Fuel-wise
with the 200hp..... at 26 MPH.

You really need some knowledge of the torque curves to answer that
question. Assuming the 200 develops more torque at the same or lower
RPMs, it should be able to spin a prop with more pitch and get some
extra speed or run at lower RPMs. Running at lower RPMs should be
good for engine durability, but assuming it takes the same horsepower
to run the same boat speed, fuel burn would be about the same.

"HK" wrote in message

[...]

Very suprising there's that much co$t difference between the 150 and the
200.

db

HK HK is offline

wrote:

I'm curious to know what the 200hp would do RPM-wise and Fuel-wise
with the 200hp..... at 26 MPH.

You really need some knowledge of the torque curves to answer that
question. Assuming the 200 develops more torque at the same or lower
RPMs, it should be able to spin a prop with more pitch and get some
extra speed or run at lower RPMs. Running at lower RPMs should be
good for engine durability, but assuming it takes the same horsepower
to run the same boat speed, fuel burn would be about the same.

The torque drops off rapidly on the Yamaha V6s below 4000 rpm.
HK HK is offline

D-unit wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
[...]

Entirely different engines, not the least of which a straight four
versus a V6.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:47:26 -0400, HK wrote:

I don't see any need to step up to a 200 hp V6 on this boat. The days
you can comfortably run more than 25 mph in a 21' boat are rare on
Chesapeake Bay. The 150 is about $4000 less than the 200.

Any comment on the extrapolations?

I'd go with the 200.

After all, it is a four stroke. :)

Actually, and I don't mean this the way it's going to sound, I find
those gas milage figures suspect.

However assuming that they are good numbers, I'd agree with you on the
150.

Even if it is ancient technology.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:47:26 -0400, HK wrote:

I don't see any need to step up to a 200 hp V6 on this boat. The days
you can comfortably run more than 25 mph in a 21' boat are rare on
Chesapeake Bay. The 150 is about $4000 less than the 200.

Any comment on the extrapolations?

I'd go with the 200.

After all, it is a four stroke. :)

Actually, and I don't mean this the way it's going to sound, I find
those gas milage figures suspect.

However assuming that they are good numbers, I'd agree with you on the
150.

Even if it is ancient technology.

Well, Parker followed up by faxing me a performance data sheet. My
extrapolations were pretty much on the money. The "mileage" figures are
actually a hair better than I thought. 4000 rpm translates into 3.28 mpg
and about 27 mph. That's pretty decent in my mind. Parker has a lot of
credibility with me...the data sheet they sent me before I bought my
25-footer was right on the money.

As far as "old" technology goes, with all my years as an owner of two
stroke outboards, I now prefer the four strokes. I find them smoother,
quieter, and there's no visible smoke, no oil to mix, and no visible oil
in the water. Plus I love the fact that at trolling speeds, you
practically cannot hear the engines.

How old the is technology on the GM 6-71?

BTW, the Evinrude eTec site really sucks. Too many weird things going on.