Default Which outboard?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:30:14 -0400, HK wrote:

As far as "old" technology goes, with all my years as an owner of two
stroke outboards, I now prefer the four strokes. I find them smoother,

BZZZZZZTTTTT!

You seriously need to take a ride on a ETEC powered boat.

quieter,

HAH!!! You can hold a normal conversation with my ETEC running WOT
and the engine is less than six feet from my control station.

and there's no visible smoke, no oil to mix, and no visible oil
in the water.

There ain't with mine either.

Plus I love the fact that at trolling speeds, you
practically cannot hear the engines.

Just like mine. :)

How old the is technology on the GM 6-71?

Dunno. What's a GM 6-71?

BTW, the Evinrude eTec site really sucks. Too many weird things going on.

That's only because you ancient technology types are gettin' feeble
and old and just don't understand new, advanced and superior
technology and presentations. :)

Or perhaps becasue you went to the eTec sight you ended up at the
Electronic Transportation Engineering Corporation?

~~ snerk ~~

That mpg figure by the way - you quoted 3.28 mpg @ 27mph. So over 27
miles run in an hour, that works out to 8.25 gallons per hour or there
about.

That's not to shabby actually - I may have been a little hasty in my
suspicion at the figures.

Still not as good as my ETEC, but acceptable.

Even for ancient technology.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:56:31 GMT, Duke Nukem wrote:

How old the is technology on the GM 6-71?

Dunno. What's a GM 6-71?

aka DD 6-71, a pair of them heading north next week, coming soon to a
harbor near you.

They were designed late 30s, early 40s. First application was to
power Sherman tanks in WW2, followed by a kazillion busses, heavy
construction equipment and commercial generators, followed later by a
few fine motor yachts, lobster boats and trawlers.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:22:46 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:56:31 GMT, Duke Nukem wrote:

How old the is technology on the GM 6-71?

Dunno. What's a GM 6-71?

aka DD 6-71, a pair of them heading north next week, coming soon to a
harbor near you.

They were designed late 30s, early 40s. First application was to
power Sherman tanks in WW2, followed by a kazillion busses, heavy
construction equipment and commercial generators, followed later by a
few fine motor yachts, lobster boats and trawlers.

Ok - I thought we were discussing outboards and GM had made some
weirdo kind of outboard I'd never heard of.

Diesel is a whole different ball game than gas two or four stroke
outboards.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:56:31 GMT, Duke Nukem wrote:

How old the is technology on the GM 6-71?
Dunno. What's a GM 6-71?

aka DD 6-71, a pair of them heading north next week, coming soon to a
harbor near you.

They were designed late 30s, early 40s. First application was to
power Sherman tanks in WW2, followed by a kazillion busses, heavy
construction equipment and commercial generators, followed later by a
few fine motor yachts, lobster boats and trawlers.

Ok - I thought we were discussing outboards and GM had made some
weirdo kind of outboard I'd never heard of.

Diesel is a whole different ball game than gas two or four stroke
outboards.

You made a comment about "old technology." So did I.

wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:56:31 GMT, Duke Nukem wrote:

How old the is technology on the GM 6-71?
Dunno. What's a GM 6-71?
aka DD 6-71, a pair of them heading north next week, coming soon to a
harbor near you.

They were designed late 30s, early 40s. First application was to
power Sherman tanks in WW2, followed by a kazillion busses, heavy
construction equipment and commercial generators, followed later by a
few fine motor yachts, lobster boats and trawlers.

Ok - I thought we were discussing outboards and GM had made some
weirdo kind of outboard I'd never heard of.

Diesel is a whole different ball game than gas two or four stroke
outboards.

You made a comment about "old technology." So did I.

Yes, but in typical liberal commie pinko moron fashion, went
completely off track.

See the title? It says "WHICH OUTBOARD"? Which would indicate, to me
at least being the boorish neanderthal conservative moron I am, that
the subject is outboards, not inboards.

Two strokes rule!! Four strokes drool!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

You need to think outside of that box!

wrote:

[...]

It is amazing how things change based upon what one owns, I remember
when Harry had a 2 stroke, he would argue with Karen how inferior 4
stroke outboards are as compared to 2 strokes.

wrote:

[...]

Four stroke technology is inferior to two stroke technology. I have
always been a proponent of two stroke technology - in particular with
diesel engines which dollar for dollar are more efficient that four
stroke diesels.

My friend Harold has a very rare experimental International Harvester
two stroke diesel MTA tractor in his collection. That thing starts
first crank, runs like a top and pulls like a SOaB - he actually
pulled a 24 bottom gang plow with it almost a half mile. Damn thing
is almost 60 years old and still original - well, except for the
torgue amplifier which was rebuilt.

And until they figure out how to develop a light weight, V6 200 hp two
stroke diesel outboard, I'll keep the two stroke I have.

TWO STROKES RULE!! FOUR STROKE DROOLS!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

There is no argument. :)

wrote:

[...]

Gee - didn't somebody do that once. Some blokes or something?

Hmmm - I have to think.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

Well, I won't argue two versus four stroke with you. Way back when I
would have argued that two stroke engines were lighter than the four
strokes, and had a more interesting power band. But the new high tech
two strokes seem about as heavy as the four strokes these days.

I've mentioned this befo I have yet to see anyone using an etec
evinrude around here. In fact, I haven't run into a dealer on my side of
the Bay that actually sells evinrudes "loose" or pre-rigged. I think the
OMC bustout a few years ago and the subsequent sale of its brand name to
the French/Canadians did great harm to its dealer network, and I don't
think that network has recovered.

I don't see many Suzukis around here, either. The leading brands are
Yamaha and Merc in the larger engines. I don't pay any attention to the
small outboards.

I see "Reggie" is still trying too hard to be relevant. Poor little
scheisskopf. All he seems to be able to do here is either snipe at
another poster or post some bit of general comment he found elsewhere.