posted to rec.boats.building

Default Dock building

I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55 gallon, but
for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. Any
issues to look out for?

On Feb 12, 10:54*am, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. *The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. *I can get 55 gallon, but
for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. *Any
issues to look out for?

and again build it so the barrels can fall out when they get full of
water or your dock will sink lower and lower.
those plastic barrels will eventually fill all you need them to do is
push up so it costs you nothing to make the darn thing safer

"Two meter troll" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 10:54 am, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55 gallon, but
for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. Any
issues to look out for?

and again build it so the barrels can fall out when they get full of
water or your dock will sink lower and lower.
those plastic barrels will eventually fill all you need them to do is
push up so it costs you nothing to make the darn thing safer

Can you expand on this? I am not sure that I follow you here.

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55 gallon, but
for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. Any
issues to look out for?

The 55 gallon drums filled with dirt may float because of the air trapped in
the dirt. If soaked after positioning and filling, they still won't weigh
much. Concrete blocks are something like 30-40% thier (in air) weight when
submerged.
You can "jet" pilings in with a trash pump. Last time I rented one was a
couple years ago and it cost me $25/day. In a day you can jet around a
bazillion pilings. Four of us non-professional jetted in 40 pilings in a
couple of hours.

Dan Listermann wrote:
"Two meter troll" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 10:54 am, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55 gallon, but
for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. Any
issues to look out for?

and again build it so the barrels can fall out when they get full of
water or your dock will sink lower and lower.
those plastic barrels will eventually fill all you need them to do is
push up so it costs you nothing to make the darn thing safer

Can you expand on this? I am not sure that I follow you here.

Dan,
With three waterfront houses in the family, we have assembled more than
a few docks.
Is this tidal water ?
Does it freeze ?
Is it open water ?
Is there some kind of boat wake control ?

When I have some answers, I will write about building floating docks and
some very specific things to not do...

Matt

posted to rec.boats.building

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55 gallon,
but for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. Any
issues to look out for?

The 55 gallon drums filled with dirt may float because of the air trapped
in the dirt. If soaked after positioning and filling, they still won't
weigh much. Concrete blocks are something like 30-40% thier (in air)
weight when submerged.

I would fill the barrels with water after filling with dirt. Maybe a lot of
rocks could be found to blend in.

You can "jet" pilings in with a trash pump. Last time I rented one was a
couple years ago and it cost me $25/day. In a day you can jet around a
bazillion pilings. Four of us non-professional jetted in 40 pilings in a
couple of hours.

That is a neat suggestion!

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
Dan Listermann wrote:
[...]

It is on a river that only occasionally freezes. The last time it froze all
the way across was 1985. The river's level is quite variable and the
current can be swift. It falls 6 feet in a mile. Our side of the river is
opposite the main channel. It's level in summer is not much to the point
that motors are not normally used. It is Indiana's Whitewater River just up
stream from Harrison.

posted to rec.boats.building

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55 gallon,
but for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. Any
issues to look out for?

The 55 gallon drums filled with dirt may float because of the air trapped
in the dirt. If soaked after positioning and filling, they still won't
weigh much. Concrete blocks are something like 30-40% thier (in air)
weight when submerged.

The specific gravity of soil starts at 2.6 and goes up to 2.9. Subtracting
1 for the volume of water displaced you get 1.6 * 8.345 * 55 = 734 pounds
submerged.

posted to rec.boats.building

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The
floating one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55
gallon, but for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt.
Any issues to look out for?

The 55 gallon drums filled with dirt may float because of the air trapped
in the dirt. If soaked after positioning and filling, they still won't
weigh much. Concrete blocks are something like 30-40% thier (in air)
weight when submerged.

The specific gravity of soil starts at 2.6 and goes up to 2.9.
Subtracting 1 for the volume of water displaced you get 1.6 * 8.345 * 55 =
734 pounds submerged.

Further investigation showed that the specific gravity of soil is 2.6 when
measured without space between particles. Almost 2 is more typical when
wet.

Boat building vs camper building Frogwatch[_2_] General 35 February 11th 09 12:28 AM
How to dock mmc Cruising 15 August 26th 08 04:20 PM
Bad Day On The Dock JoeSpareBedroom General 16 October 4th 06 04:20 AM
Dock building America the beautiful Boat Building 6 July 15th 04 06:14 PM
would like to build a low tide dock, or how do you get folks on your boat without a dock ? MIKE Cruising 6 May 12th 04 03:37 PM