MMC MMC is offline

Default How to dock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNx...eature=related

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNx...eature=related

One of the great movies of all time.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"mmc" wrote in news:48b194b4$0$19387
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNx...eature=related

You just can't beat professional pilotage...(c;

An 80-something monster came INSIDE the face dock to tie up to the
inside of it for the night. We were all enjoying some libation in the
Amel's cockpit with some cheeze balls someone had brought aboard.

I thought this guy was kinda BIG to be in such a confined space. The
tide was about 3 knots going out, making a bigger hazard for him to
overcome.

He idled the engines, then backed her down just a little to stop his
forward motion right in the middle of the "channel" between the long
face dock and all the finger piers mere mortals with some money dock
their pride and joys.

Before the boat even came to a stop, multiple whining noises from the
below decks electric thrusters started and as she still drifted towards
her night's berth, her captain rotated her on her central axis as if she
had a vertical shaft down her stack. After she passed perpendicular to
the current vector, he reversed his engines at idle and adjusted their
forward thrust to bring her into a standstill in the current. As that
got closer to reality, both thrusters easily parked her against the
inside of the face dock with about a foot to spare on both ends to the
big yachts fore and aft of her....a perfect landing with no motion at
all....as there was no room for error. They didn't hand the dock hands
the lines until after she was "parked", her main engines still
maintaining position against the current and her thrusters holding her
against the dock.....

It just isn't fair......dammit.

A kid could park that beast with a half day's instructions.

it just isn't fair at all.....

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention he did all this with a WIRELESS HANDHELD
BOX WHILE STANDING ON THE RAIL TOWARDS THE DOCK! It had a joystick on
it that controlled not only the bow and stern thrusters, but the main
diesel monsters in the bilge and their transmissions.

At least he couldn't....YET....put the dock slot into the computer as a
waypoint and just go have a beer.

Larry wrote:
[...]

Friend has a center cockpit ketch with a new $30K wiring job. Went
out to set up the electronics and when returning, he asked the wirer to
back it in to the slip as he was apprehensive to do it himself.
After ripping off the outboard and bracket and leaving a big kreosote
black streak down the side, the wirer said he wasn't to familiar with a
center cockpit with bow thrusters!
Owner and wirer decided to split the repair costs!
Gordon

On 2008-08-24 13:04:29 -0400, "mmc" said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNx...eature=related

So what's the big deal? That's pretty much how I dock Xan most of the
time, though I have a port-pulling prop when backing so I'd have
mirror-imaged his docking.

Know your boat. Use it's strengths.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-08-24 13:04:29 -0400, "mmc" said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNx...eature=related

So what's the big deal? That's pretty much how I dock Xan most of the
time, though I have a port-pulling prop when backing so I'd have
mirror-imaged his docking.

Yeah, but do you get a Margarita and do a jig?
That's the point.

--Vic
MMC MMC is offline

On 2008-08-24 13:04:29 -0400, "mmc" said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNx...eature=related

So what's the big deal? That's pretty much how I dock Xan most of the
time, though I have a port-pulling prop when backing so I'd have
mirror-imaged his docking.

Know your boat. Use it's strengths.

--
Jere Lull

As JG said, it's a great flick. No need to look for a "deeper meaning".
sheeessh....

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

On 2008-08-24 13:04:29 -0400, "mmc" said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNx...eature=related

So what's the big deal? That's pretty much how I dock Xan most of the
time, though I have a port-pulling prop when backing so I'd have
mirror-imaged his docking.

Know your boat. Use it's strengths.

--
Jere Lull

As JG said, it's a great flick. No need to look for a "deeper meaning".
sheeessh....

The best scene is when he's asleep with his glass eye open. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[...]

Bad Day On The Dock JoeSpareBedroom General 16 October 4th 06 04:20 AM
Dock lines [email protected] General 11 August 15th 05 05:05 AM
Wild day at the dock Eisboch General 7 November 7th 04 11:10 AM
would like to build a low tide dock, or how do you get folks on your boat without a dock ? MIKE Cruising 6 May 12th 04 03:37 PM