Junior Member

Default removing isolation in cold wheather?

Hi, i have a question for those who might be willing to help.

Im wondering, whether removing what im guessing can be called insulation material (see attached photo, 100_1191.JPG), would be out of the question during wheather-conditions ranging from -7 degrees celsius night, to +1 in the day. The condition of the interior paint/glassfiber/gelcoat behind this "insulation material" is not too good (i know this because i have already removed some parts of the insulation material). Here and there, the fiberglass shows. So my question is, if baring the glassfiber/gelcoat/paint in cold degrees would ruin anything? Does the moldy insulation material protect it substantially in wheather conditions such as the actual one, or is it dispensable?

The "insulation material" itself is in awful condition, very moldy, as you can see on picture 100_1226.

Generally the interior is a bit moist, as you can see on the picture 100_1225, which shows what it looks like underneath the cushions.

This concerns a 1971 sailboat, Hurley 22.

The thing is, i would like to(/need to) get working on this boat as quick as possible, and the insulation will be removed no matter what.

Best regards, Martin
Attached Thumbnails
removing isolation in cold wheather?-100_1226.jpg  removing isolation in cold wheather?-100_1225.jpg  removing isolation in cold wheather?-100_1191.jpg

Last edited by Martin Petersen : February 1st 09 at 09:12 AM Reason: specification of my question
Junior Member

I just reformulated the question, it occured to me that it might be misunderstood as "will it be too cold to be in the boat if the insulation material is removed?", or something like that.

Thanks, thats what i want to do. But do you think the bad conditioned glassfiber/gelcoat/paint underneath can take being bared to the cold?

Isolation transformers Glenn Ashmore Electronics 9 February 21st 08 03:53 PM
Isolation Transformer and DC corrosion Russell Electronics 20 June 26th 06 05:23 PM
isolation washer source RyanN Boat Building 6 December 14th 04 02:34 AM
Battery isolation Pete C Electronics 2 September 21st 04 11:29 AM
Isolation Transformers Bart Senior ASA 7 August 7th 04 10:19 AM