BoatBanter.com

-   -   removing isolation in cold wheather? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/102135-removing-isolation-cold-wheather.html)

Martin Petersen January 31st 09 02:08 PM

removing isolation in cold wheather?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, i have a question for those who might be willing to help.

Im wondering, whether removing what im guessing can be called insulation material (see attached photo, 100_1191.JPG), would be out of the question during wheather-conditions ranging from -7 degrees celsius night, to +1 in the day. The condition of the interior paint/glassfiber/gelcoat behind this "insulation material" is not too good (i know this because i have already removed some parts of the insulation material). Here and there, the fiberglass shows. So my question is, if baring the glassfiber/gelcoat/paint in cold degrees would ruin anything? Does the moldy insulation material protect it substantially in wheather conditions such as the actual one, or is it dispensable?

The "insulation material" itself is in awful condition, very moldy, as you can see on picture 100_1226.

Generally the interior is a bit moist, as you can see on the picture 100_1225, which shows what it looks like underneath the cushions.

This concerns a 1971 sailboat, Hurley 22.

The thing is, i would like to(/need to) get working on this boat as quick as possible, and the insulation will be removed no matter what.

Best regards, Martin

Martin Petersen February 1st 09 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaIIy[_2_] (Post 694498)
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:08:28 +0000, Martin Petersen
wrote:

Hi, i have a question for those who might be willing to help.

My question is, whether removing what im guessing can be called
insulation material (see attached photo, 100_1191.JPG), would be out of
the question during wheather-conditions ranging from -7 degrees celsius
night, to +1 in the day?

This concerns a 1971 sailboat, Hurley 22.

The condition of the paint/interior gelcoat behind this "insulation
material" is not too good. Here and there, the fiberglass shows.
The "insulation material" itself is in awful condition, as you can see
on picture 100_1226.

Generally the interior is a bit moist, as you can see on the picture
100_1225, which shows what it looks like underneath the cushions.

The thing is, i would like to(/need to) get working on this boat as
quick as possible.

Best regards, Martin

The boat inside is the same or very close to the temperature outside.

I'd take out everything that's damp or wet, dry it out and go over
everything with bleach and water.

If the foam or whatever insulation is moldy, throw it out.

Mold grows due to moisture and the lack of air circulation.

I just reformulated the question, it occured to me that it might be misunderstood as "will it be too cold to be in the boat if the insulation material is removed?", or something like that.

Thanks, thats what i want to do. But do you think the bad conditioned glassfiber/gelcoat/paint underneath can take being bared to the cold?