posted to rec.boats.building

Default A case of identifying Osmosis

On Jan 26, 5:30*pm, Martin Petersen Martin.Petersen.
wrote:
Hi, i would really like your judgement on whether or not the spots on
the hull of this boat, reveals a case of osmosis?

I just bought this one, a Hurley 22 from 1971, despite a lack of
thorough knowledge on boats. I have talked to several knowledgeable and
helpful people, who states it to be in fairly good condition. From the
outside it certainly does not show any hints of osmosis, but then i
look at this picture and get nervous. I havent heard of cases in which
it could be identified from the inside despite looking healthy on the
outside, but i cant help thinking that the spots on the very left of
this photo kind of looks like osmosis.

What do you think?

Best regards, Martin

|Filename: Komprimeret osmose.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.boatbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6962|

Martin Petersen

This looks like it's dirty & not in need of TLC, but not osmotic. My
own boat (an old Ensenada 20) has several spots where it looks like
they just fiberglassed some wooden blocks inside the hull with cable
wrapped around them during the boat build (presumably to lift it from
the mold) then just cut the cables flush and left it all, so some of
these things may be artifacts of the boat's original construction.

wrote:
[...]

This looks like it's dirty & in need of TLC, but not osmotic since
osmosis most often crops up under the relatively impermeable gelcoat
layer. My own boat (an old Ensenada 20) has several spots where it
looks like hey just fiberglassed some wooden blocks inside the hull

Osmosis on topsides PeterS Cruising 4 September 27th 06 06:56 PM
Osmosis blisters ? PETER KEATING Cruising 6 December 1st 04 05:05 AM
Portable Reverse Osmosis bg4a General 1 October 17th 04 05:45 PM
Source for Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membranes Geoffrey W. Schultz Cruising 8 April 24th 04 04:05 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM