Junior Member

Default A case of identifying Osmosis

Hi, i would really like your judgement on whether or not the spots on the hull of this boat, reveals a case of osmosis?

I just bought this one, a Hurley 22 from 1971, despite a lack of thorough knowledge on boats. I have talked to several knowledgeable and helpful people, who states it to be in fairly good condition. From the outside it certainly does not show any hints of osmosis, but then i look at this picture and get nervous. I havent heard of cases in which it could be identified from the inside despite looking healthy on the outside, but i cant help thinking that the spots on the very left of this photo kind of looks like osmosis.

What do you think?

Best regards, Martin
Attached Thumbnails
A case of identifying Osmosis-komprimeret-osmose.jpg
posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:30:17 +0000, Martin Petersen
wrote:

Hi, i would really like your judgement on whether or not the spots on
the hull of this boat, reveals a case of osmosis?

I just bought this one, a Hurley 22 from 1971, despite a lack of
thorough knowledge on boats. I have talked to several knowledgeable and
helpful people, who states it to be in fairly good condition. From the
outside it certainly does not show any hints of osmosis, but then i
look at this picture and get nervous. I havent heard of cases in which
it could be identified from the inside despite looking healthy on the
outside, but i cant help thinking that the spots on the very left of
this photo kind of looks like osmosis.

What do you think?

Best regards, Martin

|Filename: Komprimeret osmose.JPG |
|Download: http://www.boatbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6962|

I don't see what you are talking about. Do you mean the two little
spots on the upper right side of the picture and the other spots on
the left edge?

I very much doubt that you would have osmosis damage on the inside of
the boat, unless (very far fetched) the boat sat on the hard, full of
water for many years.

Try to either get better photos or a better description.

Osmosis is normally seen as bumps, or blisters, on the surface of the
hull. Opening one of the blisters reveals a liquid smelling of
vinegar. Refer to the West marine site
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/repairi...coat-blisters/
for additional information.
Cheers,

Bruce
posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

wrote:

[...]

I concur with Bruce on the indicators of osmosis. From the description of
the boat and the review at
http://www.hurleyownersassociation.co.uk/pages/h22.htm
it looks like its one of those sturdy, sea going boats the British were
famous for and since it was built before the 70s oil crisis, not resin
starved. I'm partial to older, heavy built boats- so yeah- I'm prejudiced.
I'd swap those old gate valves for real seacocks (I like Marelon, also the
thru hulls) and if there are any, make sure the other hull fixtures are
sound and bedded properly.
Neat boat!

posted to rec.boats.building

On Jan 26, 3:30 pm, Martin Petersen Martin.Petersen.
wrote:
Hi, i would really like your judgement on whether or not the spots on
the hull of this boat, reveals a case of osmosis?

I just bought this one, a Hurley 22 from 1971, despite a lack of
thorough knowledge on boats. I have talked to several knowledgeable and
helpful people, who states it to be in fairly good condition. From the
outside it certainly does not show any hints of osmosis, but then i
look at this picture and get nervous. I havent heard of cases in which
it could be identified from the inside despite looking healthy on the
outside, but i cant help thinking that the spots on the very left of
this photo kind of looks like osmosis.

What do you think?

Best regards, Martin

|Filename: Komprimeret osmose.JPG |
|Download:http://www.boatbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6962|

Martin Petersen

looks to me like you got a boat that had a lot of water in the bilges.
kinda looks like oil and rust spots.
none of what i see looks like weeping hull.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/repairi...arly-stage-gel...
for additional information.
Cheers,

Bruce

I concur with Bruce on the indicators of osmosis. From the description of
the boat and the review athttp://www.hurleyownersassociation.co.uk/pages/h22.htm
it looks like its one of those sturdy, sea going boats the British were
famous for and since it was built before the 70s oil crisis, not resin
starved. I'm partial to older, heavy built boats- so yeah- I'm prejudiced.
I'd swap those old gate valves for real seacocks (I like Marelon, also the
thru hulls) and if there are any, make sure the other hull fixtures are
sound and bedded properly.
Neat boat!

I am concerned about your comment to swap for Marelon. It may be a
great idea, but I have always been a little concerned about "Plastic"
through hull fittings. Yes, I know they are not your everyday
plastic. But it seems that if you struck a rock right at the Marelon
fitting it would be more likely to sheer off than would a bronze
fitting. Am I being to anal?

wrote:

[...]

I had the same concern before installing them on my 32' Traveler but they
came with the boat and as it was a "new" hull (unfinished hull/deck built
7-8 years before I bought it), there were no old ones.
I came to the conclusion that since the seacocks were lag bolted to heavily
glassed backing plates, even if the outside flange of the thru hull got
broken off, I'd be ok until I could replace it. I really like the idea of no
galvanic action with the plastic parts.
Since then, a lot of boats have been using the Marelon fittings and there
should be info on the web about failures.
An option, if the hull is thick enough, would be to use the flush mounted
type.
Hadn't seen you post in a while Jim, hope Texas is treating you well.

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:

[...]

I suspect that the "marelon" was a reference to the valves, but in
any case there have been various warnings not to use plastic for thru
hull fittings as they deteriorate in sunlight.

My own preference for thru hull use is bronze for the actual fitting
and bronze, if possible, for the valve. I can buy here, bronze ball
valves that are lower in price then the normal "sea cocks" and last
well.
Cheers,

Bruce

BruceinBangkok wrote:

I suspect that the "marelon" was a reference to the valves, but in
any case there have been various warnings not to use plastic for thru
hull fittings as they deteriorate in sunlight.

My own preference for thru hull use is bronze for the actual fitting
and bronze, if possible, for the valve. I can buy here, bronze ball
valves that are lower in price then the normal "sea cocks" and last
well.
Cheers,

Bruce

While I agree about the plastic through hull fitting, please be cautious
with the ball valve. The valve part is fine, but the threads are
usually a tapered pipe thread and do not actually make a solid coupling
to the bronze through hull. With little provocation it may break off
the two threads that it is actually engaged. DTBT and see several a
season.

Matt
posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:51:39 -0500, Matt Colie
wrote:

BruceinBangkok wrote:

[...]

True, True. I afraid that I am often guilty of over simplifying as I
sometimes assume that as I know it; doesn't everyone?

The bronze valves I referred to are straight pipe with a square
internal shoulder to butt against the end of the thru-hull with either
a rubber gasket or sealant.
Cheers,

Bruce
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc View Post
wrote:

[...]

Thanks alot for replies. Again, i wasn´t counting on it being osmosis, i just had to be sure. Now i feel fairly safe.

Its great with a place like this, with people like you willing help newcomers.

Best regards, Martin

Osmosis on topsides PeterS Cruising 4 September 27th 06 06:56 PM
Osmosis blisters ? PETER KEATING Cruising 6 December 1st 04 05:05 AM
Portable Reverse Osmosis bg4a General 1 October 17th 04 05:45 PM
Source for Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membranes Geoffrey W. Schultz Cruising 8 April 24th 04 04:05 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM