posted to rec.boats.building

Default polyurethane adhesive

Would you guys agree on the use of one-part polyurethane adhesive
instead of two-part epoxy with filler for gluing several (4) pieces of
1" teak wood planks in order to make a properly shaped base between the
windlass and the deck?

Thank you in advance
Daniel
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:01:55 +0100, Daniele Fua
wrote:

Would you guys agree on the use of one-part polyurethane adhesive
instead of two-part epoxy with filler for gluing several (4) pieces of
1" teak wood planks in order to make a properly shaped base between the
windlass and the deck?

Thank you in advance
Daniel

I used a polyurethane one part ( "Gorilla" type) glue to make a tiller
handle. It brags about being the strongest, but says it's unsuited to
immersion. I was unhappy that it foamed out on finished surfaces,
looking very untidy during the setting interval. This is also a reason
why it calls for a light clamping force - else it can spring joints.

BrianW

wrote:

Would you guys agree on the use of one-part polyurethane adhesive
instead of two-part epoxy with filler for gluing several (4) pieces of
1" teak wood planks in order to make a properly shaped base between the
windlass and the deck?

Thank you in advance
Daniel

I used a polyurethane one part ( "Gorilla" type) glue to make a tiller
handle. It brags about being the strongest, but says it's unsuited to
immersion. I was unhappy that it foamed out on finished surfaces,
looking very untidy during the setting interval. This is also a reason
why it calls for a light clamping force - else it can spring joints.

BrianW

Over time it will absrb moisture which can cause the bond to fail.
So if you use this kind of glue, makes sure you have a good heavy
varnish finish.

That's the beauty of using epoxy - the bond is a lot more impervious to
moisture although it will still need the varnish finish to protect from
UV.

Six of one - etc...

wrote:

[...]

I originally built parts of my MiniCup sailboats with "Gorilla Glue"
and I wish I had not. It has poor gap filling properties and seems o
let go after prolonged immersion. I have had to go back and replace
it with epoxy.
posted to rec.boats.building

"Daniele Fua" wrote in message
. ..
Would you guys agree on the use of one-part polyurethane adhesive
instead of two-part epoxy with filler for gluing several (4) pieces of
1" teak wood planks in order to make a properly shaped base between the
windlass and the deck?

No. Polyurethane glue has no place in a boat in my opinion. First, it needs
a high clamping force of 4kg/cm2 or 60lb/in2 for a reliable bond. Do the
math for any serious area....

Second, it has no gap filling properties. Yes, it fills gaps with foam, but
without any strength. You need to have a very good tight fit.

Epoxy on the other hand can be "slapped on" and you can just lay the pieces
together and still obtain a bond far better than with poly goop.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.building

Daniela,
You will find doing the job correctly once is much better than doing twice
or more. Please remember the forces that will be involved, as the windlass
must be through bolted to a substantial beam under the deck. The base will
have to be solid to withstand the compression loads, flat on top and shaped
to the crown of the deck underneath. If large pieces of stock are used, they
could split over time. The best way to do this is to first make a shape
template to capture the crown, then laminate properly sized planks of 1 to 2
inches in thickness preprofiled for the deck crown with epoxy and clamped to
cure. When cured, finish as you wish. If the deck is teak, cut a rebate at
the deck line and seal with polysulfide sealant. Please remember to
alternate the grain, plank to plank, when assembling the lamination.
Steve

wrote:

Would you guys agree on the use of one-part polyurethane adhesive
instead of two-part epoxy with filler for gluing several (4) pieces of
1" teak wood planks in order to make a properly shaped base between the
windlass and the deck?

Thank you in advance
Daniel

I used a polyurethane one part ( "Gorilla" type) glue to make a tiller
handle. It brags about being the strongest, but says it's unsuited to
immersion. I was unhappy that it foamed out on finished surfaces,
looking very untidy during the setting interval. This is also a reason
why it calls for a light clamping force - else it can spring joints.

Actually, it needs very firm clamping pressure and a precise fit,
otherwise it will foam IN the joint, resulting in a very weak bond. I've
used it on parts that are frequently immersed - but not continually for
more than a few hours - and it works fine.

On Dec 14, 2:01*pm, Daniele Fua wrote:
Would you guys agree on the use of one-part polyurethane adhesive
instead of two-part epoxy with filler for gluing several (4) pieces of
1" teak wood planks in order to make a properly shaped base between the
windlass and the deck?

Thank you in advance
Daniel

not when i can go downt to the hardware store and pick up a two part
epoxy for the same price
posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks to you all, the poll had one unanimous response and I will comply
for su epoxy.
Thanks to Steve for the additional advices: I will follow them too.
My planks are already 1 inch thick which puts me on the safe side and I
will cross the grain directions. I was also thinking of gluing teak
veneer (approx 3/32" thick) on the sides in order to protect the open
end of the fibers.
Daniel

Daniele Fua wrote:

Thanks to you all, the poll had one unanimous response and I will comply
for su epoxy.
Thanks to Steve for the additional advices: I will follow them too.
My planks are already 1 inch thick which puts me on the safe side and I
will cross the grain directions. I was also thinking of gluing teak
veneer (approx 3/32" thick) on the sides in order to protect the open
end of the fibers.
Daniel

Or maybe a couple of layers of 1/2 ounce "deck" cloth and epoxy to seal
everything?

2-part polyurethane foam SF UK Paddle 1 June 3rd 11 12:39 AM
Polyurethane and tacky epoxy [email protected] Boat Building 8 June 30th 07 05:29 PM
Polyurethane sealer? cavelamb himself Boat Building 2 March 12th 07 02:37 AM
Polyurethane paint Gordon Boat Building 7 October 27th 06 04:36 PM
How to Remove Polyurethane Glue Bob La Londe Boat Building 3 October 29th 04 05:03 PM