posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Seamanship Question# #40

wrote in message
On 15 Oct, 20:05, "Charles Momsen" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

What safety gear would you have near a propane
stove in the galley?

1 pt

1. Master shut off valve for propane.
2. Fire hood.
3. Cover for stove.
4. CO detector.
5. Vent fan.
6. Fire extinguisher located near exit.
7. Heavy duty oven mitts or M-60 barrel changing mitts.
8. Halon or purple K in a can/small bucket/bottle.
9. Propane leak detector.

Good Grief!

Are you sucking up to Bart or what?

No, he has me killfiled so he never would see it.

If I was worried about the safety of my stove,
then I would send Bart down to do the cooking.
He's a big guy, and he would be able to absorb
a fairly large explosion.

I think that I deserve 2 points for this
answer.

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:33:30 -0600, "Charles Momsen"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:05:20 -0700, "Charles Momsen"
wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message

7. ..... or M-60 barrel changing mitts.

If you'd used the proper clyclic rate of fire, you would't need those
mitts.

The newer stoves are even better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBNGgu0qGlQ

That's something. As one who had to teach half sleeping classes how
to set the headspace and avoid overheating to the point of cook offs
and lock up on the predessor stove, that's impressive.

I bet you can kill a lot of wolves with it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 15, 12:52*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message

What safety gear would you have near a propane
stove in the galley?

Rum
"j" ganz

A dozen lashes for you Jon! We are not talking about
killing fish! Or drunken sailors.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 15, 3:05*pm, "Charles Momsen" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

What safety gear would you have near a propane
stove in the galley?

1 pt

1. Master shut off valve for propane.
2. Fire hood.
3. Cover for stove.
4. CO detector.
5. Vent fan.
6. Fire extinguisher located near exit.
7. Heavy duty oven mitts or M-60 barrel changing mitts.
8. Halon or purple K in a can/small bucket/bottle.
9. Propane leak detector.

Wow, that is nine! I'll give you nine points!
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message

What safety gear would you have near a propane
stove in the galley?

1 pt

1. Master shut off valve for propane.
2. Fire hood.
3. Cover for stove.
4. CO detector.
5. Vent fan.
6. Fire extinguisher located near exit.
7. Heavy duty oven mitts or M-60 barrel changing mitts.
8. Halon or purple K in a can/small bucket/bottle.
9. Propane leak detector.

Can you explain what a fire hood is?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message

What safety gear would you have near a propane
stove in the galley?

1 pt

1. Master shut off valve for propane.
2. Fire hood.
3. Cover for stove.
4. CO detector.
5. Vent fan.
6. Fire extinguisher located near exit.
7. Heavy duty oven mitts or M-60 barrel changing mitts.
8. Halon or purple K in a can/small bucket/bottle.
9. Propane leak detector.

Can you explain what a fire hood is?

He may mean a smoke hood.
http://www.smokehoods.com/products/scu_main.aspx

I know a number of people who fly regularly and who stay in hotels,
mostly in Asia.
They have these at hand to offer at least an opportunity to escape the
all too often fires

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message

[...]

Very interesting. I've seen these on Air Force jets.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message

What safety gear would you have near a propane
stove in the galley?

1 pt

1. Master shut off valve for propane.
2. Fire hood.
3. Cover for stove.
4. CO detector.
5. Vent fan.
6. Fire extinguisher located near exit.
7. Heavy duty oven mitts or M-60 barrel changing mitts.
8. Halon or purple K in a can/small bucket/bottle.
9. Propane leak detector.

One thing I noticed on boats in the UK. A flame retardant
blanket--to one side of a stove. Good for putting out a
grease fire.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message

What safety gear would you have near a propane
stove in the galley?

1 pt

1. Master shut off valve for propane.
2. Fire hood.
3. Cover for stove.
4. CO detector.
5. Vent fan.
6. Fire extinguisher located near exit.
7. Heavy duty oven mitts or M-60 barrel changing mitts.
8. Halon or purple K in a can/small bucket/bottle.
9. Propane leak detector.

Can you explain what a fire hood is?

A firehood is used to contain flames and heat. There are many types for many
different applications. Next time you are in Home Depot or any of the big
box stores look up at the ceiling. You'll see something like curtains or
barriers about every 30 feet or so. This is to stop heat, flames and
pyrolysis gases from spreading along the underside of the ceiling. Steel
weakens considerably under heat, so the intent of the curtains/hood is to
limit the structural failure to a small area. You see the same principle in
platform framed houses with fire blocks (cats) installed halfway up inside
the wall between the studs (it looks like a horizontal stiffener).
Restaurants have them above the stove, it doubles as an exhaust hood and
looks like a big stainless steel funnel. In the case of a boat, a firehood
would look like a normal kitchen style exhaust hood but a bit deeper and
would not allow flames to escape around the sides, flames and heat go up
into the hood and not onto nearby wood, fabric, maps, etc. The proper name
for the thing is probably something other than firehood. The thing just
slows down the spread of a fire, hopefully enough to allow people to escape
and give time to fight the source of the flames.

Most boat galleys:

http://tinyurl.com/6df9bv

Are a conflagaration waiting to happen. Feeding stoves with pressurized gas
(propane) is really asking for it.

Seamanship Question #38 Bart ASA 7 May 7th 07 06:19 PM
Seamanship Question #25 Bart Senior ASA 14 January 14th 06 01:26 AM
Seamanship Question #28 Bart Senior ASA 5 December 4th 05 03:23 PM
Seamanship Question #14 Bart Senior ASA 30 September 14th 04 10:28 AM
Seamanship Question 2 pts plus bonus question. Bart Senior ASA 12 November 3rd 03 05:27 PM