posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default What happened to ASA?

On 6 Oct, 00:00, OzOne wrote:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 10:45:55 -0400, Marty wrote:
True enough, I think a lot of the regulars got tired.

The flonkers are easily kf'ed... I see them now and then and just
adjust my filters.

I'm not that sure that many actually know how to.

Yeah...MS sucks at it!

Oh well, I'd like to see Tadpole and the Nav back, miss 'ol Thom too,
figure we're going to be saying "God rest his soul" soon.

I miss the exchanges with Taddy and Nav....and Thom...a gentleman to
be sure.

Jax would certainly be interesting, I haven't read a definitive work on
anything lately.

Heh Heh...I finished writing a "definitive work" not so long
ago..another text book :-)

Allow me to suggest some possible titles.

"Prosperity on a Policeman's Paypacket"

or

"Increase an Officer's Income"

or (my favourite!)

"Making Crime Pay ...
..... for a Ferrari"

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 5 Oct, 18:28, "Capt. JG" wrote:

Oh... normal, like Oz going on and on about some dumb car troll bs from BS.
snip

So, Oz, who by his own words doesn't sail anymore, should probably either
put up or shut up. I doubt he'll do either.

Jon

You take things far too seriously.

This is a newsgroup. Our opinions don't matter.

The only things that matter happen in real life.
The success of your coughslightly illegal/cough
Sailing Charter Business matters. My opinion does
not.

Regards

Donal
posted to alt.sailing.asa

--

You're right. Opinions don't matter.

However, two things... when stalking happens inside Usenet, then this tends
to impair freedom to post on the part of the person being stalked. A couple
of people, and I use the term loosely, attempted to shut down my ability to
express my opinion. Taint never gonna happen, btw.

When it happens outside of Usenet (both within and outside Usenet for me),
then it is real life, and it does matter.

Re the success of a "slightly" charter business... nothing is or was
illegal, and claiming this over and over is the equivalent of the Swift Boat
attack on someone's reputation. This has real-world effects if left
unchallenged, much as what happened in the previous Pres. election in this
country.

As you know, I've not been immune to the allure of trolling and and while
trolling can be fun or at least entertaining, what that started here with
Neal and a couple of others went far beyond trolling.

The car stuff was entertaining, at least for me, for a brief period, because
it's occasionally amusing to watch BS get stomped. After 100 posts or so, it
just became boring. I'm amazed you didn't realize this... or was it a
keep-it-going-for-as-long-as-you-can sort of thing?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 22:14:33 -0400, Marty wrote:

A Zin! Rhymes with sin... How 'bout a smooth non-oaked Chardonnay?

Cheers
Marty

One from one of my favourite wineries
http://www.piggspeake.com/2007_Wolfie_Zinfandel.html

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

I think Zinfandel is about the worst wine I have ever tasted. And your link
says it sells for $55 a bottle! There must be some strange people out
there.
In an article about Sarah Palin I have just seen a recipe for moose stew and
the author recommended that a 'robust zinfandel' was the right wine to be
drunk with it!!
Robust? Ye gods, the ordinary stuff is bad enough.
What a way to treat a moose.
YMMV of course. It takes all sorts...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote:
I think Zinfandel is about the worst wine I have ever tasted.

Hey, they have to do *something* with all those darn grapes

In an article about Sarah Palin I have just seen a recipe for moose stew and
the author recommended that a 'robust zinfandel' was the right wine to be
drunk with it!!
Robust? *Ye gods, the ordinary stuff is bad enough.
*What a way to treat a moose.
YMMV of course. It takes all sorts...

Personally, I like beer with moose, depending on how it's seasoned.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote in message

OzOne wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 22:14:33 -0400, Marty wrote:

A Zin! Rhymes with sin... How 'bout a smooth non-oaked Chardonnay?

Cheers
Marty

One from one of my favourite wineries
http://www.piggspeake.com/2007_Wolfie_Zinfandel.html

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

I think Zinfandel is about the worst wine I have ever tasted. And your
link says it sells for $55 a bottle! There must be some strange people
out there.
In an article about Sarah Palin I have just seen a recipe for moose stew
and the author recommended that a 'robust zinfandel' was the right wine to
be drunk with it!!
Robust? Ye gods, the ordinary stuff is bad enough.
What a way to treat a moose.
YMMV of course. It takes all sorts...

Sounds like she's in a rut... sorry....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 6 Oct, 19:00, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

On 5 Oct, 18:28, "Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

Actually, Jon, when I came back to the group I was dissappointed to
see that the longest thread in the last 4 months was about 23 posts.

In the good old days of ASA, we had enormous threads that went on
for
weeks. The banter and debate was good fun for all concerned. So, I
deliberately tried to stir things up, to see if we could get an old
style ASA argument going. I'm reasonably pleased with the result.
I accept that it was a bit long, but it was in the tradition of ASA.

The big problem with a sailing newsgroup is that we are subject
to the weather. If we don't get to sail, then we don't have much
to say about sailing. This year (and last) the weather has been lousy.
6 weeks ago I almost contemplated selling Setanta. Since then
I have had 5 weekends of good sailing, so I have forgotten all
thoughts of giving up my hobby.

You may not like Fat Bob...but he can start a good sailing thread.
I am good at *responding*... unfortunately I am not creative enough
to start threads.

If you start off some sailing threads, then I will be very happy to
try to make them last longer. Invariably, this means that I will
dissagree
with you. Good conversation doesn't occur when everyone says "I
agree".

One final point.

Don't you enjoy watching me wrap Bob around my little
finger?

Regards

Donal
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
On 6 Oct, 19:00, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

On 5 Oct, 18:28, "Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's been slow for the last several months. As I said, it was in a
large measure due to the issues previously mentioned.

In the good old days of ASA, we had enormous threads that went on
for
weeks. The banter and debate was good fun for all concerned. So, I
deliberately tried to stir things up, to see if we could get an old
style ASA argument going. I'm reasonably pleased with the result.
I accept that it was a bit long, but it was in the tradition of ASA.

I know, and I guess it just seemed overly repetitive.

The big problem with a sailing newsgroup is that we are subject
to the weather. If we don't get to sail, then we don't have much
to say about sailing. This year (and last) the weather has been lousy.
6 weeks ago I almost contemplated selling Setanta. Since then
I have had 5 weekends of good sailing, so I have forgotten all
thoughts of giving up my hobby.

Sort of true, sort of not, since we all live in different areas, so there's
a lot of variation. Out here, it's pretty much sailing all year long. In
some places on the eastern coast of the US, people are pulling their boats.
Oz is heading into the summer season. Of course, except for my visit, London
is typiclally fogged in and miserable. I'll possibly get back that way in
the next year, so I'll be sure and bring better weather. Did you and Bart
(?) have a good sail?

You may not like Fat Bob...but he can start a good sailing thread.
I am good at *responding*... unfortunately I am not creative enough
to start threads.

He can and when it was about that, I had no problem contributing to them. I
don't recall any instances of personal attacks on my part that went beyond
Usenet, which was not the case on his side.

If you start off some sailing threads, then I will be very happy to
try to make them last longer. Invariably, this means that I will
dissagree with you. Good conversation doesn't occur when everyone says "I
agree".

I agree. Sorry.

One final point.

Don't you enjoy watching me wrap Bob around my little
finger?

It was enjoyable, but it's not that much fun watching someone kick people in
the head after they've fallen.

Have you noticed I replaced :-) with LOL?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 6 Oct, 21:25, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

On 6 Oct, 19:00, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

On 5 Oct, 18:28, "Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

Don't worry! Bob may well kick me in the head after I have fallen,
but
I will always come back!

Bob doesn't kick that hard!

Regards

Donal
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 5 Oct, 01:03, wrote:
It's nothing but spam and garbage anymore.

Michael, I am surprised at you.

Your post is not spam, but it is definitely worth less
than garbage.

I'm surprised that you cannot contribute something about sailing.
After all, this group gave you lots of good advice to you before
you took to the high seas?????

You seem to be the least gracious of the posters that I
have ever seen post here.

I hope to God that I never manage to injest the acidic Bile that seems
to have to have infected your judgement.

You had real freinds here.

Good luck

Donal

What happened Don Dando General 14 April 12th 08 04:03 AM
what happened to...? RB Electronics 2 January 1st 06 10:32 PM
What Happened? Capt. Rob ASA 11 November 10th 05 01:31 PM
WHAT HAPPENED? gonefishing ASA 11 April 9th 05 07:25 AM
What happened, Joe??? Jonathan Ganz ASA 3 November 4th 04 12:44 AM