posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hurricane Ike - More powerful than Katrina

Hurricane Ike is closing in on Texas, and stands poised to become one of the
most damaging hurricanes of all time. Despite Ike's rated Category 2
strength, the hurricane is much larger and more powerful than Category 5
Katrina or Category 5 Rita. The storm surge from Ike could rival Katrina's,
inundating a 200-mile stretch of coast from Galveston to Cameron, Louisiana
with waters over 15 feet high. This massive storm surge is due to the
exceptional size of Ike. According to the latest wind field estimate (Figure
1), the diameter of Ike's tropical storm and hurricane force winds are 550
and 240 miles, respectively. For comparison, Katrina numbers at landfall
were 440 and 210 miles, respectively. As I discussed in yesterday's blog
entry, a good measure of the storm surge potential is Integrated Kinetic
Energy (IKE). Ike continues to grow larger and has intensified slightly
since yesterday, and the hurricane's Integrated Kinetic Energy has increased
from 134 to 149 Terajoules. This is 30% higher than Katrina's total energy
at landfall. All this extra energy has gone into piling up a vast storm
surge that will probably be higher than anything in recorded history along
the Texas coast. Storm surge heights of 20-25 feet are possible from
Galveston northwards to the Louisiana border. The Texas storm surge record
is held by Hurricane Carla of 1961. Carla was a Category 4 hurricane with
145 mph winds at landfall, and drove a 10 foot or higher storm surge to a
180-mile stretch of Texas coast. A maximum storm surge of 22 feet was
recorded at Port Lavaca, Texas.
--

jlrogers±³©

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
:
[...]
: --

Sad how so many believe all the hype. Lucky if it's a tropical storm when
it hits. The authorities always exaggerate. Look at the thing on the
satellite loops. It doesn't even have an eye or eyewall. It's sucking in
dry air and becoming lop-sided with nothing on the western semi-circle.
Duh.

--
Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

Sorry about that. The lack of attribution resulted from the newswriter
dropping the links within the text.

I don't believe the hype either, but did cancel a sailing trip out of Kemah
for this weekend.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/
:
: Sorry about that. The lack of attribution resulted from the newswriter
: dropping the links within the text.
:
: I don't believe the hype either, but did cancel a sailing trip out of
Kemah
: for this weekend.
:

You were smart to not believe the hype as the minimal damage (broken
windows in a sky scraper, toppled trees and an awning to two blown down
and some 10 foot max storm surge and flooded out cars is all that
happened. They MIGHT have one measly death attributed to the storm so far.

Like I said, don't believe the government control-freak mentality hype.
They are obviously softening up the sheeple so they can lead them to the
slaughter at some future date for nefarious purposes.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
[...]

While I don't believe everything the government says, I'm questioning
where you get your information about the lack of storm damage in this
area. The route to my marina was blocked off as a disaster area, and
large sail and powerboats were strewn around the marinas, roadsides, and
parking lots like so many children's toys. (This was the area where Red
Cloud was docked.) Settlements on Boliver Island and West Galveston are
almost totally destroyed.

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"JimC" wrote in message

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

troll sh*t removed

While I don't believe everything the government says, I'm questioning
where you get your information about the lack of storm damage in this
area. The route to my marina was blocked off as a disaster area, and large
sail and powerboats were strewn around the marinas, roadsides, and parking
lots like so many children's toys. (This was the area where Red Cloud was
docked.) Settlements on Boliver Island and West Galveston are almost
totally destroyed.

Jim

Jim, I'd tell you where he gets it, but it would be impolite.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Hurricane Katrina Meye5 Cruising 5 September 27th 05 03:04 AM
Hurricane Katrina Meye5 Cruising 0 September 12th 05 05:04 AM
U.S. spy satellites aid Hurricane Katrina recovery Hoodoo General 0 September 2nd 05 01:17 AM