posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Proof that Red Cloud's skipper lied about Olga

wrote in message
news : On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:05:21 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: wrote:
:
:
: Hype and more hype about this dying storm Ike. They are claiming
it's
: going to come ashore as a cat 3 but look at the poor thing.
:
: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html
:
: It's breaking up because dry air from the west is getting entrained
: all the way to the core and it's practically broken the thing in
two.
: It's lucky to come ashore as a tropical storm if they were honest
: about it. They just love to frighten people.
:
: Joe isn't too bright but his little lake will only come up to the
: balcony on his lakeside apartment in that ramshackle building he
was
: planning to use as a company headquarters. This time he probably
was
: smart enough to move his automobile to higher ground, I hope. He
has
: no boat to worry about anymore. Poor lubber Joe. I feel sorry for
him.
: Everything he touches goes wrong.
:
: Wilbur Hubbard
:
: Actually, Ike is building in strength and pretty much covers the
: entire Gulf. It's much bigger than Katrina. Galveston is already
badly
: flooded, and the storm is still almost 200 miles out. On it's
present
: track, Galveston and Houston will be hit by the Northwest quadrant
of
: the storm. That's decidedly the "bad" side.

That's simply not so. The north EAST quardrant is the worst in a storm
in the northern hemisphere. The northwest quadrant is the 'back side'
and winds will be blowing offshore there. It is only in the eastern
semi-circle where the winds will be blowing onshore on an eastern
shore like Galveston. Duh! Pity the folks that get hit by the NE
quardrant. That's got the forward speed of the storm adding to the
hurricane circulation winds. You subtract the forward speed from the
winds in the NW quadrant.

:
: It's more than likely that Freddy-Joe's house won't be there this
time
: tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong, and he got the hell out of there.
:

Like I said, Ike is over-hyped. They want to scare the crap out of
people for some reason. Now the National weather service is saying it
is "certain death" for people in Galveston to stay. Now, if that's not
a pile of crap I've never stepped in one.

Joe will be just fine. But, if he does get 100mph winds and a 20 foot
storm surge he'll soon be posting here that the winds were 500mph and
the storm surge was 100 feet. Times five was about the factor he
exaggerated the cold front wave height.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
: On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:53:26 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: wrote:
:
:
: wrote in message
: news : : On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:05:21 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: : wrote:
: :
: :
[...]
: TYPO. So sue me.