posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default hobie 16 cringles on the mainsail

Hi everybody,
I'm writing down these few words just in order to understand in your
opinion if I had a good idea or not.
I weight 65 kg and I'm selling the Hobie 14 in order to buy the 16
but
since I'm so light I was thinking to reduce the mainsail because in
the place where I use sailing is easy to find strong winds and in
order to use my new hobie 16 also as a single boat I tought it was
better to let someone add some cringles to reduce to mainsail, but
keeping the possibility of carry a friend and let him try the real
adrenaline of a hobie.
Please also consider that I'm newby sailor and making a smaller
mainsail for the 16 could be the right chanche to learn better
without
any fear.
Then what are your considerations regarding this? Do you have any
opinion about?
Thanks to anyone will post any consideration.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 27, 1:10 pm, mpeg wrote:
.... in
order to use my new hobie 16 also as a single boat I tought it was
better to let someone add some cringles to reduce to mainsail

This could work OK, but you might want to consider getting a new
mainsail made especially for stronger winds. You want the sail to be
flatter and have it's Center of Effort a little further forward, as
well as smaller. This will also reduce the stress & wear on your
normal mainsail, as flogging in high winds is one of the biggest
factors in wearing out a sail.

If you add reef cringles to your normal sail, be sure to provide for a
very good clew & tack grommets, also. You will need to get more
outhaul tension on the reef point than you normally sail with, or else
the sail will be too baggy and much worse for high winds.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
On May 27, 1:10 pm, mpeg wrote:
.... in
order to use my new hobie 16 also as a single boat I tought it was
better to let someone add some cringles to reduce to mainsail

This could work OK, but you might want to consider getting a new
mainsail made especially for stronger winds. You want the sail to be
flatter and have it's Center of Effort a little further forward, as
well as smaller. This will also reduce the stress & wear on your
normal mainsail, as flogging in high winds is one of the biggest
factors in wearing out a sail.

If you add reef cringles to your normal sail, be sure to provide for a
very good clew & tack grommets, also. You will need to get more
outhaul tension on the reef point than you normally sail with, or else
the sail will be too baggy and much worse for high winds.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Yes. And, don't do more than cosmetically use reefing knots in the
intermediate cringles. You can easily damage the sail.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Mainsail hoist Ringmaster ASA 20 October 18th 06 02:15 PM
Mainsail question Capt. Rob ASA 13 January 22nd 06 02:10 AM
FS: Mainsail in Md rgnmstr Marketplace 0 March 16th 05 01:13 AM
Hobie Getaway vs. Hobie 16 -- performance Matt O'Toole General 2 April 6th 04 10:51 PM
FS: Catalina 27 Mainsail in VA Hmseconomy Marketplace 0 November 13th 03 02:06 PM