posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Thinking like Sailors

I'm getting my ladies to thinking like sailors

http://madmariner.com/seamanship/wea..._BAY_122007_SW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:32:41 -0800, (Thom Stewart)
wrote:

I'm getting my ladies to thinking like sailors

http://madmariner.com/seamanship/wea..._BAY_122007_SW

I've seen similar shots before and it never ceases to amaze me that
Coast Guard (in Oz, Volunteer Coast Guard) will first even go out in
those conditions to perform a rescue, and 2nd, have tools of trade
that are so well designed and built.

Truly these 'are' heroes and your football star that makes the winning
touchdown or kick pales into oblivion.

Oh and have a happy christmas and fulfilling new year Thom.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

I'm getting my ladies to thinking like sailors

http://madmariner.com/seamanship/wea..._BAY_122007_SW

I've seen similar shots before and it never ceases to amaze me that
Coast Guard (in Oz, Volunteer Coast Guard) will first even go out in
those conditions to perform a rescue, and 2nd, have tools of trade
that are so well designed and built.

Truly these 'are' heroes and your football star that makes the winning
touchdown or kick pales into oblivion.

Oh and have a happy christmas and fulfilling new year Thom.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

It's kinda amazing they didn't get slammed into the rocks. I believe one of
these did sink after that happened off the Marin coast.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

I'm getting my ladies to thinking like sailors

http://madmariner.com/seamanship/wea..._BAY_122007_SW

I've seen similar shots before and it never ceases to amaze me that
Coast Guard (in Oz, Volunteer Coast Guard) will first even go out in
those conditions to perform a rescue, and 2nd, have tools of trade
that are so well designed and built.

Truly these 'are' heroes and your football star that makes the winning
touchdown or kick pales into oblivion.

Oh and have a happy christmas and fulfilling new year Thom.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

It's kinda amazing they didn't get slammed into the rocks. I believe one of
these did sink after that happened off the Marin coast.

I think the lense has foreshortened the shot.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thanks for the link, Thom.

http://madmariner.com/seamanship/wea...ARD_CAPSIZE_MO...

OzOne wrote
I've seen similar shots before and it never ceases to amaze me that
Coast Guard (in Oz, Volunteer Coast Guard) will first even go out in
those conditions to perform a rescue, and 2nd, have tools of trade
that are so well designed and built.

Truly these 'are' heroes and your football star that makes the winning
touchdown or kick pales into oblivion.

Agreed. Of course, those USCG crews are young and think they're
bulletproof, but it's still incredible what they go thru for rescues.

The 47-foot coastal rescue craft are amazing (and expensive) boats.
They're fairly new, designed for 180-degree stability and built with
full flotation and dry-sump engines so rolling over does not damage
them. The crews are all harnessed in. The older class of 42-footers
had similar features but an open bridge (WTF?!?!?).

"Capt. JG" wrote:
It's kinda amazing they didn't get slammed into the rocks. I believe one of
these did sink after that happened off the Marin coast.

IIRC the rocks in that pick are likely the jetty at that inlet, they
looked pretty well clear...
One of the things I like about East Coast cruising, as opposed to the
West Coast, is that there are a lot fewer rocks to hit over here

Fresh Breezes- Doug King