Default thinking of getting a boat

What would be a nice first boat to get to go cruising.

tracy wrote:
What would be a nice first boat to get to go cruising.

Tracy,

Unfortunately, your question can't be answered as asked. It's like
asking "What would be a nice first house to live in?" or "What would be
a nice first car to own?"

There are tons of books and magazines out there that will at least get
you to the point where some of the issues start to make sense and will
allow you to ask more pointed, specific questions. I'd recommend that
you read a few first, then come back and start your dialog again.
Meanwhile, continue monitoring the newsgroup. There's a lot of
non-boating/cruising BS here, but there's also a lot of good information
that gets passed around.

- Dan

"tracy" wrote in news:1171137492.832779.261080
@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

What would be a nice first boat to get to go cruising.

http://www.benettiyachts.it/
It plays itself....

If you wanna go sailing, I recommend:
http://www.amel.fr/en/pages-amel/edito.htm
There's a movie to swoon to on:
http://www.amel.fr/en/pages-amel/amel54-videos.htm

Even a used one is very nice, either way. You didn't give us more to go
on so I figured you'd want the best....

Let us all know when it's delivered so we can drop by and figure out
where all the new electronics needs to be installed. We have captains,
engine experts, electronic technicians, first class mates and all ready
to help you get used to it and make sure everything is perfect.

I bet Roger Long, our resident marine architech and the man that figured
out why the Titanic sank while he was in a sub looking at the ship down
there, would come with us to make sure you're getting proper performance.
How about it Roger?

We'll even cook and clean and arrange for all its maintenance if you take
us with you....You don't need to lift a finger or stand a watch....

Larry
--
Hmm...nice Amel 54 or Benetti. Either way, we could do the Med as Spring
comes, just for sea trials....(c; We'll stop by Naples and see the

Dan Best wrote in news:45ce2c54$0$14069
:

Unfortunately, your question can't be answered as asked. It's like
asking "What would be a nice first house to live in?" or "What would be
a nice first car to own?"

That's easy:
http://www.biltmore.com/
http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/\

I like the gold Rolls...no, not the paint, the trim....24Karat

Larry
--
VIRUS ALERT! VISTA has been released!
NOONE will be spared!
Bob Bob is offline

I like the gold Rolls...no, not the paint, the trim....24Karat

Larry

I heard the 24K trim is a lot slower that the 18K and that can get you
into a lot of trouble if your trying to out run your ex wife's
attorney.
Bob

tracy wrote:
What would be a nice first boat to get to go cruising.

Tracy,

I'd suggest that before you even think about buying a cruising boat, you
first spend some time cruising on lots of other boats. Spending time
out at sea on as many different boats as possible will greatly increase
your ability to judge what is right for you. There are numerous
organizations that place "boat owners in need of crew" in touch with
"crew in need of boats", usually for specific outings, passages or
deliveries. In the SF Bay area, there is a magazine called Latitude 38
that is considered an excellent starting point for this.

You might also like to spend some significant amount of time racing, as
this lends another dimension to your awareness and ability to judge a
boats cruising potential. I'd also recommend reading some of the more
popular books on the subject. Lyn & Larry Pardee have written numerous
texts on this topic, as has Steve & Linda Dashew, as well as many other
authors you will see mentioned in this newsgroup. All of them have
opinions, very few of them agree on much, but they are all right or
wrong, depending on your own needs, economy and desires.

I'd also suggest that should you decide to skip the above good advice,
you at a minimum buy the least expensive boat you can possibly afford.
No matter what you choose, it will ultimately be "wrong" in that you
will come to realize its faults, or outgrow its abilities, or decide you
need something more. The less money you invest in this process the
better off you will be. By far the cheapest, easiest solution is to
find or make friends with boat owners and go sailing with them.
Possibly my single biggest regret in life is not following this exact
advice.

Of course, if you really need an answer and want to "just be out sailing
now", I'd say a nice first boat to go cruising in would be the Robertson
& Caine 440, a 44' cruising catamaran. After adding the obvious
necessary items like a genset, air conditioning, satellite
communications, dive compressor and hot tub it comes in under a million
dollars, plus annual upkeep of probably only thirty thousand a year. It
will provide years of reliable fun and minimal effort, is blue water
ready and sails easily.

Cheers,

Robb

"Bob" wrote in news:1171149638.358881.235010
@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

I like the gold Rolls...no, not the paint, the trim....24Karat

Larry

I heard the 24K trim is a lot slower that the 18K and that can get you
into a lot of trouble if your trying to out run your ex wife's
attorney.
Bob

Those that can afford the 24K trim can BUY the ex wife's attorney....(c;

Larry

On Feb 10, 2:58 pm, "tracy" wrote:
What would be a nice first boat to get to go cruising.

There are a plethora of books available, and nothing beats actually
sailing, but if (like me) sailing is not an option until Spring and
you want to prepare for the Spring "sales," try "Your First Sailboat,"
by Daniel Spurr. The author's credentials are unparalleled and you
will get all of the information you need to make choices appropriate
for you. The book is published by International Marine and should be
widely available (maybe even at your local library).

Steve

"steve_hayes_maine" wrote in
oups.com:

nothing beats actually
sailing,

I don't think ANYONE should buy a boat until they've sailed with others,
who always need extra muscle hands anyways, for two or three years. No
sense making a $100,000+ mistake stuck with something you'll hate.

Go down on the docks of any local marina and find an occupied boat about
what you are looking at in size and rigging. It doesn't have to be the
same brand. Occupied means the owner is sitting there grinding away on
something he has to do to stay afloat. Strike up a conversation. They
don't usually bite, but backoff and go elsewhere if he growls at you and
shows his teeth. You didn't want to sail with Captain Blythe, the
Hermit.

Wheedling your way aboard is just SO easy! HELP HIM! I've been doing it
for over 20 years. You may like it so much you won't need to buy one.
Every one of them is desparate to find another sailor to help him sail
the beast and help with its maintenance. Whatever skill you have in
diesel engines, mechanical or electronic expertise is MOST welcome on any
boat. The guys with the nicest boats are lawyers, bankers, rich folks
who know little to nothing about diesels, electronics, transmissions,
steering gear, hot water tankage, plumbing, heads, bilge pumps, float
switches, taking care of even the most simple tasks. Some of the boats
I've sailed on, they are MORE than happy to hand you, after you earn
their trust, the keys to it so you can just "take over" lots of details,
relieving them of the awful tedium of owning it, especially if their
lives are saturated making all that money. You'll find the right
combination of personality and companionship after a few and develop real
friendships. I have many.

If you are offered money, decline it. You don't want his money. You
want to sail on his boat and learn before making a mistake. "No, thank
you, Tom. Just take me with you.", you tell him. You get paid in food
and a few beers, which you take VERY sparingly. The captain has to be
the captain. He can't REALLY enjoy his boat and his guests because he
has to be THE CAPTAIN, staying sober, at the helm, in control and letting
his guests, mostly, fend for themselves. Boy, talk about being welcome!
Wait until he trusts you to take over the boat while he has guests
aboard! Mine calls me weeks in advance to ask me to go to xxxxxx the
first two weeks in May. Sure I'll go! What, are you crazy?!! He gets
to enjoy his guests and the cruise, YOU, get to enjoy the nice yacht
without shelling out a dime and sail, sail, SAIL!

Now that you've enjoyed other people's boats for two years, and have been
to sea many times on various boats with all kinds of experience and
knowledge none of those overpriced books at Waste Marine can give you,
you can look at the boats in the boat show and decide for yourself if you
want one.....THAT bad. What? Are you crazy? I don't have time. We're
leaving on XXXXXX for XXXXXX in two weeks for a month. Why would I want
a Umptisquat 28 when I'm going to XXXXXX on an $280,000 XXXXX 56?? I
have to go get it from XXXXX boatyard on Monday because Captain XXXXX has
a meeting at the XXXXX with his attornies. He's asked me to bring it
'round to his slip for him so WE can get her ready for sea next
weekend.....

They really ARE very nice people, these yachties, especially if you're
willing and able to help them enjoy it.....(c;

Oops...darn! He's done it to me again! There's a new chartplotter on
the nav table with a note asking me if I have time to install it at the
helm and make it work with the rest of the toys. Hmm....lessee, I'll
take the boat's VISA to Waste Marine. I'll need a few things I know
we're short of for this installation. He's coming down on Friday, so
I'll make sure it's installed when he gets here. As usual, I won't even
call him, just for fun. We'll probably have to sea trial it, offshore,
with those two girls from F-dock to check its calibration next Saturday.
I'd better pack a bag for overnight in case I get lucky...

See ya later. I gotta go over to Waste Marine.....bye....(c;

Larry
--
(cue "Sailing" on the stereo).....(c;