Larry Larry is offline

Default thinking of getting a boat

"steve_hayes_maine" wrote in
oups.com:

nothing beats actually
sailing,

I don't think ANYONE should buy a boat until they've sailed with others,
who always need extra muscle hands anyways, for two or three years. No
sense making a $100,000+ mistake stuck with something you'll hate.

Go down on the docks of any local marina and find an occupied boat about
what you are looking at in size and rigging. It doesn't have to be the
same brand. Occupied means the owner is sitting there grinding away on
something he has to do to stay afloat. Strike up a conversation. They
don't usually bite, but backoff and go elsewhere if he growls at you and
shows his teeth. You didn't want to sail with Captain Blythe, the
Hermit.

Wheedling your way aboard is just SO easy! HELP HIM! I've been doing it
for over 20 years. You may like it so much you won't need to buy one.
Every one of them is desparate to find another sailor to help him sail
the beast and help with its maintenance. Whatever skill you have in
diesel engines, mechanical or electronic expertise is MOST welcome on any
boat. The guys with the nicest boats are lawyers, bankers, rich folks
who know little to nothing about diesels, electronics, transmissions,
steering gear, hot water tankage, plumbing, heads, bilge pumps, float
switches, taking care of even the most simple tasks. Some of the boats
I've sailed on, they are MORE than happy to hand you, after you earn
their trust, the keys to it so you can just "take over" lots of details,
relieving them of the awful tedium of owning it, especially if their
lives are saturated making all that money. You'll find the right
combination of personality and companionship after a few and develop real
friendships. I have many.

If you are offered money, decline it. You don't want his money. You
want to sail on his boat and learn before making a mistake. "No, thank
you, Tom. Just take me with you.", you tell him. You get paid in food
and a few beers, which you take VERY sparingly. The captain has to be
the captain. He can't REALLY enjoy his boat and his guests because he
has to be THE CAPTAIN, staying sober, at the helm, in control and letting
his guests, mostly, fend for themselves. Boy, talk about being welcome!
Wait until he trusts you to take over the boat while he has guests
aboard! Mine calls me weeks in advance to ask me to go to xxxxxx the
first two weeks in May. Sure I'll go! What, are you crazy?!! He gets
to enjoy his guests and the cruise, YOU, get to enjoy the nice yacht
without shelling out a dime and sail, sail, SAIL!

Now that you've enjoyed other people's boats for two years, and have been
to sea many times on various boats with all kinds of experience and
knowledge none of those overpriced books at Waste Marine can give you,
you can look at the boats in the boat show and decide for yourself if you
want one.....THAT bad. What? Are you crazy? I don't have time. We're
leaving on XXXXXX for XXXXXX in two weeks for a month. Why would I want
a Umptisquat 28 when I'm going to XXXXXX on an $280,000 XXXXX 56?? I
have to go get it from XXXXX boatyard on Monday because Captain XXXXX has
a meeting at the XXXXX with his attornies. He's asked me to bring it
'round to his slip for him so WE can get her ready for sea next
weekend.....

They really ARE very nice people, these yachties, especially if you're
willing and able to help them enjoy it.....(c;

Oops...darn! He's done it to me again! There's a new chartplotter on
the nav table with a note asking me if I have time to install it at the
helm and make it work with the rest of the toys. Hmm....lessee, I'll
take the boat's VISA to Waste Marine. I'll need a few things I know
we're short of for this installation. He's coming down on Friday, so
I'll make sure it's installed when he gets here. As usual, I won't even
call him, just for fun. We'll probably have to sea trial it, offshore,
with those two girls from F-dock to check its calibration next Saturday.
I'd better pack a bag for overnight in case I get lucky...

See ya later. I gotta go over to Waste Marine.....bye....(c;

Larry
--
(cue "Sailing" on the stereo).....(c;