posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bottom Cleaning

What's the general recommendation regarding the need for, and
recommended frequency of, bottom cleaning of boats docked in relatively
warm waters? I had a bottom treatment (out of the water) last year, but
notice some growth on the rudders, etc. One local serviceman who does
"in-the-water" cleaning is recommending it be done every three or four
months.

Jim
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"JimC" wrote in message
What's the general recommendation regarding the need for, and recommended
frequency of, bottom cleaning of boats docked in relatively warm waters? I
had a bottom treatment (out of the water) last year, but notice some
growth on the rudders, etc. One local serviceman who does "in-the-water"
cleaning is recommending it be done every three or four months.

Jim

I hang those small mesh laundry bags with large pool chlorine tablets in
them beneath the hull. The hull stays clean no problemo. Just keep an eye on
the chlorine tablets, replace every 3 weeks or so.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Robert Musgine wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

What's the general recommendation regarding the need for, and recommended
frequency of, bottom cleaning of boats docked in relatively warm waters? I
had a bottom treatment (out of the water) last year, but notice some
growth on the rudders, etc. One local serviceman who does "in-the-water"
cleaning is recommending it be done every three or four months.

Jim

I hang those small mesh laundry bags with large pool chlorine tablets in
them beneath the hull. The hull stays clean no problemo. Just keep an eye on
the chlorine tablets, replace every 3 weeks or so.

Where are they positioned relative to the hull? - A few inches below it,
or a foot, or two feet, or what? Also, how many do you use? - For
example, two or three, spaced along the length (of my 26-foot boat)? -

Jim
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 9, 11:28 am, "Robert Musgine" wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message

What's the general recommendation regarding the need for, and recommended
frequency of, bottom cleaning of boats docked in relatively warm waters? I
had a bottom treatment (out of the water) last year, but notice some
growth on the rudders, etc. One local serviceman who does "in-the-water"
cleaning is recommending it be done every three or four months.

Jim

I hang those small mesh laundry bags with large pool chlorine tablets in
them beneath the hull. The hull stays clean no problemo. Just keep an eye on
the chlorine tablets, replace every 3 weeks or so.

It's corrosive..keep away from zincs and thru-hulls and steel hulls.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

On Nov 9, 11:28 am, "Robert Musgine" wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

.. .

What's the general recommendation regarding the need for, and recommended
frequency of, bottom cleaning of boats docked in relatively warm waters? I
had a bottom treatment (out of the water) last year, but notice some
growth on the rudders, etc. One local serviceman who does "in-the-water"
cleaning is recommending it be done every three or four months.

Jim

I hang those small mesh laundry bags with large pool chlorine tablets in
them beneath the hull. The hull stays clean no problemo. Just keep an eye on
the chlorine tablets, replace every 3 weeks or so.

It's corrosive..keep away from zincs and thru-hulls and steel hulls.

Joe

Joe, how often to you have your boat bottom-cleaned, and how do you do
it? Do you use one of the divers services?

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Robert Musgine" wrote in message

I hang small mesh laundry bags with large chlorine tablets
that I steal out of men's room urinals, beneath the hull.

Yuck!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 10, 5:41 am, JimC wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Nov 9, 11:28 am, "Robert Musgine" wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

.. .

What's the general recommendation regarding the need for, and recommended
frequency of, bottom cleaning of boats docked in relatively warm waters? I
had a bottom treatment (out of the water) last year, but notice some
growth on the rudders, etc. One local serviceman who does "in-the-water"
cleaning is recommending it be done every three or four months.

Jim

I hang those small mesh laundry bags with large pool chlorine tablets in
them beneath the hull. The hull stays clean no problemo. Just keep an eye on
the chlorine tablets, replace every 3 weeks or so.

It's corrosive..keep away from zincs and thru-hulls and steel hulls.

Joe

Joe, how often to you have your boat bottom-cleaned, and how do you do
it? Do you use one of the divers services?

Jim- Hide quoted text -

No, I dont use divers, I jump in a scrub it with a stiff carpet scraps
about every 3 mo or so. For an ablative the schedule the guy gave you
was pretty good.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 10-Nov-2007, "Scotty" wrote:

I hang small mesh laundry bags with large chlorine tablets
that I steal out of men's room urinals, beneath the hull.

Are those the mint flavored type?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jim

I keep my "26M" in the water at Oxnard California. Such
as Mr. Gomes suggested... I have the diver clean it monthly
until winter arrives. Then my vendor suggested doing it every
other month.

Note: I had to have my Mac bottom painted before leaving it
in the slip full time.

Best regards

Bill

Anacapa Isle Marina
Channel Islands Harbor
Oxnard, California

Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Bottom paint Tamaroak Cruising 0 July 10th 04 12:44 PM
Divers Needed for bottom cleaning & zincs in SF Bay Rob Boat Building 1 June 9th 04 04:22 PM
Completely scraped bottom. What proceedure should I follow to seal the bottom? boatalec Electronics 4 April 5th 04 05:21 PM
Speaking of bottom cleaning, what about keel hauling? Glenn Ashmore Cruising 6 November 5th 03 01:53 PM