Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Freedom from responsibility

While I was at the coast working on my 28' S2, I was suddenly invited
to go sailing on an F31 tri. We had about 12 kts wind and it was a
blast. 15 kts on a sailboat, waaaaaaay cool. I havent had such a
good time sailing in a long time and this puzzled me for nearly 48
hours till I realized why.
I almost never go out on other peoples boats meaning I am always the
captain so i have to know what I am doing, where i am going, where the
shoals are, what my sails are doing, what my guests are doing, what my
kids are doing, etc. In this case, I knew I was clueless about
handling the tri so I just did as I was told and tried to be helpful.
I didnt worry about anything but enjoyed the trip. I did know the
captain was very knowledgeable so I could relax and talk to others.
So, I suddenly understand why I like to sail by myself too, no
responsibility for other people on the boat. Anybody else feel this
way?

Frogwatch