posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Freedom from responsibility

wrote in message
ps.com...
.... I've been
in
a couple of situations where the owner or charterer didn't have a clew
or
was dangerous.

That's when you take command.

Subtly, of course

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Yeah, like grabbing the helm and screaming get off the f*cking boat you
idiot! Next you're going to tell me that's not subtle enough.

That's more subtle than using a gun, yes.

Generally, I try to work in a series of suggestions. When the owner of
the boat doesn't have a clue and knows he's getting into trouble, and
one of my suggestions work, he's relieved to take what are basically
orders after that.

The one time when that didn't work, I just put on my life jacket and
remarked that we were going to hit the bricks close enough to the bus
stop for me to be home in time for dinner. We were, too. That guy
ended up crewing for me for a few years.

DSK

I was in a situation once when no one on the boat would take responsibility
for the boat. Finally, I just took over, as the several tankers were
converging on our position. Not one person complained... amazing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com