Star-bucks

Default Is Bush Still Taking Responsibility?

Harry,
Thanks for republishing this news article. Many people are new to the
Internet, and do not know how to read the news at the news web sites. You
provide an excellent service, but please remember to preference your
thoughtful cut and paste with an OT.

Keep up the good work.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
BATON ROUGE, La., Sept 16 - Nearly three weeks after Hurricane Katrina cut
its devastating path, FEMA - the same federal agency that botched the
rescue mission - is faltering in its effort to aid hundreds of thousands
of storm victims, local officials, evacuees and top federal relief
officials say. The federal aid hot line mentioned by President Bush in his
address to the nation on Thursday cannot handle the flood of calls,
leaving thousands of people unable to get through for help, day after day.

Federal officials are often unable to give local governments permission to
proceed with fundamental tasks to get their towns running again. Most
areas in the region still lack federal help centers, the one-stop shopping
sites for residents in need of aid for their homes or families. Officials
say that they are uncertain whether they can meet the president's goal of
providing housing for 100,000 people who are now in shelters by the middle
of next month.

Today's NY Times.

--
- - -
George W. Bush, our hero!

"I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep on the soil of a
friend."—Bush, on the prospect of visiting Denmark, Washington D.C., June
29, 2005

P Fritz

"Star-bucks" wrote in message
Harry,
Thanks for republishing this news article. Many people are new to the
Internet, and do not know how to read the news at the news web sites. You
provide an excellent service, but please remember to preference your
thoughtful cut and paste with an OT.

Keep up the good work.

Harry needs to read something other than the print division of the DNC

"Victims less angry than Bush-haters"
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05262/573959.stm

"Reporter Dean Reynolds found a dozen people -- all African-Americans --
who'd been evacuated from the flooded streets of New Orleans, sat with them
outside the Houston Astrodome and interviewed them as soon as the
president's speech ended.

Reynolds' first question was to a woman named Connie London: "You heard the
president say you are not alone . . . Do you believe him?"

"Yes," she said, "because here in Texas they've been truly good to us."

"Did you harbor any anger toward the president because of the slow federal
response?"

"No, none whatsoever," London replied, "because I feel our city and state
government should have been there before the federal government was called
in. They should have been on their jobs."

"And they weren't?" Reynolds asked.

"No, no, no, no, Lord, they weren't," she stated. "They had RTA buses,
Greyhound buses, school buses that were just sitting there going under water
when they could have been evacuating people."

Reynolds asked a woman named Mary if she gleaned hope from the president's
words.

"Yes," she replied.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I really believe what he said."

He turned to Brenda Marshall and asked, "What did you think of what the
president said tonight?"

"I think the speech was wonderful."

"Was there anything you found hard to believe? You know, that's nice
rhetoric but the proof is in the pudding?"

"No, I didn't," she answered, with an apologetic shrug.

"Well....good," Reynolds fumbled. "Very little skepticism here."

After nearly ten minutes of similar good will, I half expected Reynolds to
turn to the camera and wail, "Can we get some new people here?" But he kept
fishing. "Cecilia," he said to another woman, "did you think the president
was sincere here tonight?"

"Yes, he was," she said.

"Do you think this was a little too late?" Finally he got a bite when she
repeated his words without passion: "To me, it was too late."

Reynolds turned back to Connie and asked, "Do you blame anybody for this?"

"Hell, yes!" she exclaimed. "They've been allocated federal funds to fix the
levee system, and it never got done. I fault the mayor of this city, I
really do."

At that point, Reynolds thanked them for their time, and Ted Koppel
remarked, "If the national response is reflected by that small group of
people, then the president has made some major progress tonight."

[...]

PocoLoco

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:10:00 -0400, "P Fritz"
wrote:

"Star-bucks" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the post. I'd heard about the program, but hadn't seen the words.
I'll bet it doesn't get played more than the one time!
--
John H