posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Nice Steel Hull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiVv4VZmGY

35 kts of wind. Could you imagine a bendatoe 35s5 in such wind?

Called a Swain 36, a friend has one here he buildt oragami style, cool
& tough little boats..

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 8, 10:10 am, Joe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiVv4VZmGY

35 kts of wind. Could you imagine a bendatoe 35s5 in such wind?

Called a Swain 36, a friend has one here he buildt oragami style, cool
& tough little boats..

Joe

Here's a newer Beneteau in 30 knot winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkpJAyiafhk

Doesn't look like the boat is having the least bit of difficulty.
Better music too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 8, 10:10 am, Joe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiVv4VZmGY

35 kts of wind. Could you imagine a bendatoe 35s5 in such wind?

Called a Swain 36, a friend has one here he buildt oragami style,
cool
& tough little boats..

Joe

Here's a newer Beneteau in 30 knot winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkpJAyiafhk

Doesn't look like the boat is having the least bit of difficulty.
Better music too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

That ain't nothin! Check this one out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA_1TYYmIyY

Greg

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gregory Hall" wrote:
That ain't nothin! Check this one out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA_1TYYmIyY

16 knots!
Pretty good for a condo-maran.

OTOH that boat is not over running the wave crests. You can see quite
clearly when a wave rolls under the bow; in the previous video you can
see quite clearly that the Benny was running faster than the waves.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 9, 6:50 pm, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 8, 10:10 am, Joe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiVv4VZmGY

35 kts of wind. Could you imagine a bendatoe 35s5 in such wind?

Called a Swain 36, a friend has one here he buildt oragami style,
cool
& tough little boats..

Joe

Here's a newer Beneteau in 30 knot winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkpJAyiafhk

Doesn't look like the boat is having the least bit of difficulty.
Better music too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

That ain't nothin! Check this one out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA_1TYYmIyY

Greg- Hide quoted text -

That's kids stuff. This looks like a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp45fL0u0QU

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 9, 6:50 pm, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 8, 10:10 am, Joe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiVv4VZmGY

35 kts of wind. Could you imagine a bendatoe 35s5 in such wind?

Called a Swain 36, a friend has one here he buildt oragami style,
cool
& tough little boats..

Joe

Here's a newer Beneteau in 30 knot winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkpJAyiafhk

Doesn't look like the boat is having the least bit of difficulty.
Better music too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

That ain't nothin! Check this one
out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA_1TYYmIyY

Greg- Hide quoted text -

That's kids stuff. This looks like a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp45fL0u0QU

Joe

I've sailed in conditions like that before but I wasn't racing so I
didn't have to beat into it. Makes all the difference in the world when
you can run before that sort of crap.

Greg

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
That's kids stuff.

says the guy whose never done anything remotely like it.

.... This looks like a challenge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp45fL0u0QU

It is. In fact it's the BT Global Challenge.

Very cool video, thanks for the link. I like the struggle getting the
trysail set, and the wave impact that blows the guy off the windward
rail & down the companionway.

"Gregory Hall" wrote:
I've sailed in conditions like that before but I wasn't racing so I
didn't have to beat into it. Makes all the difference in the world when
you can run before that sort of crap.

Makes all the difference when you've got the design & rig for it.
Those boats were specifically designed to sail well in those
conditions, including to windward; you'll notice that they don't futz
around with full keels or gaff rigs etc etc. You also notice that
under trysail & storm jib (late in the vvideo) the boat is barely
crawling along on a close reach. In those conditions, many boats
couldn't make any ground to windward at all.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 13, 1:25 pm, wrote:
"Joe" wrote
That's kids stuff.

says the guy whose never done anything remotely like it.

What ? My labrisa dink will plane out and hit twenty on a good day,
and she has a tiller. Just as good as any benny! Better even.

.... This looks like a challenge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp45fL0u0QU

It is. In fact it's the BT Global Challenge.

Very cool video, thanks for the link. I like the struggle getting the
trysail set, and the wave impact that blows the guy off the windward
rail & down the companionway.

Makes you think twice about no wearing a harness. I like the guy
bashing his head on the mast aloft...good thing he had a helmet.

"Gregory Hall" wrote:
I've sailed in conditions like that before but I wasn't racing so I
didn't have to beat into it. Makes all the difference in the world when
you can run before that sort of crap.

Makes all the difference when you've got the design & rig for it.
Those boats were specifically designed to sail well in those
conditions, including to windward; you'll notice that they don't futz
around with full keels or gaff rigs etc etc. You also notice that
under trysail & storm jib (late in the vvideo) the boat is barely
crawling along on a close reach. In those conditions, many boats
couldn't make any ground to windward at all.

They look like pretty stout boats, I like the way they shiver.

Joe

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:37:36 -0700, wrote:

"Gregory Hall" wrote:
That ain't nothin! Check this one out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA_1TYYmIyY

16 knots!
Pretty good for a condo-maran.

OTOH that boat is not over running the wave crests. You can see quite
clearly when a wave rolls under the bow; in the previous video you can
see quite clearly that the Benny was running faster than the waves.

Not all wave speeds are created equal. The larger the wave the longer
the wavelength and the faster it travels (in deep water).
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
What ? My labrisa dink will plane out and hit twenty on a good day,

?!?
Yeah right

and she has a tiller. Just as good as any benny! Better even.

Sorry Joe... "has a tiller" is not the main qualification in
determining boat performance; a dinghy like yours is a lot of fun to
sail but in NO WAY is even in the same ball park... not even the same
continent... as a sport boat, much less a skiff.

Look at it this way... it's an achievement for a foiling Moth to break
20 knots. The Swift Solo might do it under exceptional
circumstances.... a boat like a 5-0-5 will not.... the fastest I've
ever sailed a Lightning felt like 20+ but was actually timed out at
about 12k, and that was on a day when it was insane to take the boat
out (blowing 35+, eventually ordered off the lake by officials).

I'm glad that you have fun sailing the dink, but do you seriously
think it's faster than a Lightning, much less a 5-0-5? Let's not be
too delusional OK?

Very cool video, thanks for the link. I like the struggle getting the
trysail set, and the wave impact that blows the guy off the windward
rail & down the companionway.

Makes you think twice about no wearing a harness. I like the guy
bashing his head on the mast aloft...good thing he had a helmet.

True.
You'd have to be nuts to try & work on deck in conditions like that
without a harness.

Those boats were specifically designed to sail well in those
conditions, including to windward;

They look like pretty stout boats, I like the way they shiver.

Went on one at the Annapolis boat show a few years back. They are
awesome boats... not particularly fast but they would be great
passagemaker cruisers.

DSK

Unless you're in a steel hull Joe Cruising 4 May 1st 07 03:35 AM
Unless you're in a steel hull Joe ASA 4 May 1st 07 03:35 AM
Nice Hull Joe ASA 6 April 11th 06 08:56 PM
porthole in a steel hull [email protected] Boat Building 4 January 6th 06 11:28 AM
Why a Steel Hull Joe ASA 48 April 21st 05 01:43 AM